Doncaster Rovers 2 Derby County 3: Commons at double to deny Rovers point from fightback

KRIS COMMONS grabbed a second-half double to give Derby victory at Doncaster as Nigel Clough's side saw off a fightback from the hosts.

Derby's attacking midfield trio of Commons, Alberto Bueno and Tomasz Cywka caused havoc and Luke Moore opened the scoring for the visitors in the 19th minute.

Derby dominated a poor Doncaster side in the first half with former Rovers midfielder Paul Green controlling the game for the visitors.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rams manager Clough might have been edgy to see his side fail to turn their dominance into more goals but when Commons capitalised on an error from Rovers debutant Joseph Mills to strike just before the hour mark the points appeared to be safe.

But leading scorer Billy Sharp drove Doncaster forward and the former Scunthorpe man had a hand in both goals as a quick-fire double from Dean Shiels brought the hosts level.

The Rams were not to be denied however, and the incisive link-up displayed all evening by Bueno and Commons opened Doncaster up for the latter's second neat finish, this time a winner.

Doncaster Rovers: Sullivan, Dumbuya, Hird, Webster, Mills (Lockwood 82), Coppinger, Stock, Gillett (Martin Woods 39), Oster (Hayter 77), Shiels, Sharp. Unused substitutes: Grayson, Jones, Gary Woods, Husband.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Derby County: Fielding, Brayford, Leacock, Barker, Moxey, Bueno (Savage 77), Bailey, Cywka, Green, Commons (Anderson 88), Moore (Kuqi 64). Unused substitutes: Roberts, Pringle, Doyle, Atkins.

Referee: K Evans (Lancashire).

Championship leaders QPR had goalkeeper Paddy Kenny to thank as they came away from Swansea with a point.

The Swans, who came into the match having lost just one of their last 18 at the Liberty Stadium, had a great chance to take the lead in the 39th minute but former Sheffield United goalkeeper Kenny kept out David Cotterill's spot-kick to keep the score at 0-0.

Second-placed Cardiff closed the gap by beating Coventry 2-1.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Peter Whittingham's early penalty gave the Bluebirds the advantage at the Ricoh Arena, but Gary McSheffrey drew Coventry level a minute before the break.

But the in-form Jay Bothroyd grabbed a late winner for Cardiff which takes them within two points of the summit.

Third-placed Norwich slipped to a shock 2-1 home defeat against struggling Crystal Palace, who recorded their first away win of the season.

Scunthorpe edged out Preston by the odd goal in five, Martyn Woolford's goal settled a thrilling clash 3-2 in the visitors' favour.

Liam Lawrence's penalty earned Portsmouth victory at Millwall.