Exeter 1 Hull 3:

Hull City continued their fine start to the season, but only after they were given a scare by League Two Exeter City.
Hull Citys Adma Diomande duels with Exeter Citys Ethan Ampadu (Picture: Simon Galloway/PA).Hull Citys Adma Diomande duels with Exeter Citys Ethan Ampadu (Picture: Simon Galloway/PA).
Hull Citys Adma Diomande duels with Exeter Citys Ethan Ampadu (Picture: Simon Galloway/PA).

Jake Taylor gave Exeter the lead with a stunning long-range strike, but joint Premier League leaders Hull hit back to win with two goals from Adama Diomande and a strike by former Leeds United winger Robert Snodgrass.

After a relatively even first 15 minutes, Hull came within a whisker of taking the lead when the dangerous Diomande cut in from the left wing and curled a shot against the face of the crossbar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Exeter’s Liam McAlinden then rounded Dusan Kuciak, but the Tigers’ goalkeeper did well to recover and make the save.

Exeter went in front after 24 minutes when Taylor collected the ball 30 yards out and unleashed a stunning strike that flew into the top corner.

The lead did not last long, though, as Hull equalised almost immediately. Shaun Maloney crossed from the right and Diomande headed in from close range.

Ryan Harley shot wastefully wide after great work by McAlinden as Exeter threatened once more, while Diomande was off target before Christy Pym made a fine stop to deny Greg Luer as Hull ended the first half in the ascendency.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Exeter started the second half well, but Harley and Joel Grant were off target from distance, while the impressive Lloyd James blasted a free-kick just wide.

Hull did not threaten until the 65th minute when Diomande was again off target from Andrew Robertson’s cross and then Tom Huddlestone struck the upright with a deflected shot.

However, Hull went in front in the 78th minute when Diomande rifled in from 10 yards after linking well with Greg Olley.

It was harsh on Exeter, who had been enjoying their best spell of the game, and the contest was effectively ended after 82 minutes when substitute Snodgrass curled in a free-kick from 25 yards after a foul by Jordan Tillson.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Exeter battled on with Grant trying his luck from distance, but Kuciak was equal to it, while Snodgrass came close to adding a fourth in time added on.

For Hull interim manager Mike Phelan, it was a third straight win and the travelling fans again sung their support for him.

As for Exeter, it was a gallant showing from a youthful side that again included 15-year-old Ethan Ampadu, who was named the sponsors’ man of the match.