Huddersfield Town 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

A SENSATIONAL milestone strike from Jermaine Beckford helped Huddersfield Town claim another high-profile Championship scalp with victory over Wolves.

Town were good value for the win after totally dominating the first period, with the only surprise being that they weren’t leading by a far more emphatic margin when they could - and perhaps should - have been out of sight at the interval.

Despite a second-half fightback from the visitors, who pulled one back courtesy of Sylvan Ebanks-Blake’s strike on 63 minutes, Town held firm and deservedly claimed the spoils.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Their opener arrived on 11 minutes with James Vaughan heading home impressively at the far post following a bucaneering run and cross from Jack Hunt.

Simon Grayson’s troops doubled their tally with a majestic second three minutes before the half-hour mark with Beckford firing home a sublime acrobatic volley following fine work from Adam Clayton - to record the 100th league goal of his career in picture-book style and first in Town colours at home.

Vaughan also went close with two shots which flashed just wide, with Hunt also just off target with a stinging low drive as Town threatened to run riot, with Wolves’ best moment arriving when Bakary Sako fired a well-taken freekick just over.

Town carried on from where they left off early in the second half with Danny Ward firing over after Carl Ikeme raced out of goal and pushed away a cross, flattening defender Christophe Berra in the process.

After flattering to decieve in an attacking sense, Wolves earned themselves a lifeline shortly after the hour mark when Ebanks-Blake nipped in front of his marker to prod home Sako’s low cross.

That set up a nervy final hour, with Tongo Doumbia almost drawing Wanderers level ten minutes after their goal with his rasping low shot flashing inches wide with Kevin Doyle’s deflected shot flying just over soon after.

Sub Dave Edwards then saw his fierce header following Jermaine Pennant’s inswinging corner hit the outside of the post as Wolves pressed for a leveller.

Lee Novak, who entered the fray for Oliver Norwood 17 minutes from time, then saw his well-struck shot deflect off Roger Johnson and flash just wide as the hosts attempted to make the game safe.

Wolves’ final chance arrived in stoppage-time with Sako’s shot held by Alex Smithies before Berra shot at the keeper close to the final whistle after Sako’s corner wasn’t cleared.

Town: Smithies; Hunt, Clarke, Gerrard, Woods (Dixon 90); Clayton, Norwood (Novak 73), Southern, D Ward; Vaughan (Lynch 80), Beckford. Subs not used: Bennett, Scannell, Arfield, Lee.

Wolves: Ikeme; Foley, Johnson, Berra, S Ward; Pennant, Doumbia, Davis (Edwards 46), Sako, Doyle, Ebanks-Blake. Subs not used: Stearman, Sigurdarson, Zubar, Batth, Forde, De Vries.

Referee: J Adcock (Notts).

Attendance: 18,012 (2,521 Wolves fans).

• Follow every match live on our FREE phone apps. Versions for iPhone and Android.