Hull City 2-1 Ipswich Town

NICK PROSCHWITZ netted his first goals in Hull City colours to fire Steve Bruce’s side to a dramatic win at the KC Stadium.

The German, signed from SC Paderbourn for £2.6m in the summer, has endured a frustrating start to life at the KC Stadium.

But he made up for that by, first, snatching the equaliser after being brought off the bench with the Tigers trailing to Jay Emanuel-Thomas’ first half opener.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And then in the third minute of stoppage time, Proschwitz headed in to seal the points and send the majority of the 15,983 crowd home happy.

The winner may have come late on but there could be little doubt that City were full value for the points after dominating for long periods.

Hull had started in impressive fashion and really should have been ahead long before Ipswich’s opener through Emmanuel-Thomas.

Seyi Olofinjana was the first to threaten with a header goalwards that Ipswich hacked to safety. The Nigerian midfielder then fired over following a mis-cue by Ryan Cresswell before Sone Aluko’s shot was half blocked by goalkeeper Stephen Henderson and then cleared off the line by Carlos Edwards.

Stephen Quinn and Aluko also went close before the Tractor Boys took the lead courtesy of a fine individual goal by Emanuel-Thomas that saw the one-time Doncaster Rovers loanee beat Ben Amos after making light of poor challenges by Liam Rosenior and Paul McShane.

For the rest of the half, City were distinctly off key and things got little better in the opening stages of the second half as the visitors continued to boss proceedings.

Ben Amos had to save smartly from Lee Martin before only a great block by Ahmed Elmohamady prevented Daryl Murphy from doubling Ipswich’s advantage.

Perhaps the worst miss of all came on 65 minutes when DJ Campbell shot wide after being played in behind the City defence by a fine ball from Emmanuel-Thomas.

It proved a costly miss with Hull equalising nine minutes later through Proschwitz.

The big German tapped in from close range following great work by Elmohamady on the right flank to set up a frantic finale as City chased a winner.

Andy Dawson’s drilled cross just evaded Proschwitz’s lunge before Quinn headed over and then saw his shot turned round the post by Henderson.

The Ipswich goalkeeper then denied Aaron Mclean twice in quick succession before the substitute fired over in stoppage time after Henderson had spilt an Aluko free-kick.

That seemed to be it until a stunning cross from Elmohamdy was met by Proschwitz and his header flew into the net to break Ipswich hearts.

• Follow the action from every match live on our FREE phone apps. Versions for iPhone and Android.