Yorkshire round-up: Losing streak ends for Leeds as Owls are denied first win with late leveller

LEEDS UNITED manager Brian McDermott said victory was all that mattered after seeing his side end a four-game losing run with a hard-earned 2-1 win over 10-man Bournemouth.
Leeds players celebrate Ross McCormack's goal against Bournemouth. Picture: Bruce Rollinson.Leeds players celebrate Ross McCormack's goal against Bournemouth. Picture: Bruce Rollinson.
Leeds players celebrate Ross McCormack's goal against Bournemouth. Picture: Bruce Rollinson.

Dominic Poleon volleyed the winner and his first league goal of the season in the 80th minute after Bournemouth striker Lewis Grabban had cancelled out Ross McCormack’s second-half opener.

Leeds had failed to muster a single chance on goal when Bournemouth were harshly reduced to 10 men in the 31st minute.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Goalkeeper Ryan Allsop was adjudged to have brought down Leeds striker Noel Hunt in the penalty area and was shown a straight red card by referee David Coote.

But Bournemouth’s replacement keeper Darryl Flahavan saved McCormack’s subsequent penalty and misfiring Leeds went on to make hard work of their first win in five matches.

“It reminds me of a game when I was permanent manager at Reading when I first got the job,” said McDermott. “We played Barnsley and won 1-0 and I thought then that the only thing that mattered was to win.

“As caretaker we hadn’t won for five, we drew two and lost three and we were struggling at the bottom of the table, but we beat Barnsley and went on to win eight on the trot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I definitely think we deserved to win. The only thing that mattered in this game was the result. Nothing else.”

Elsewhere on a busy night in the championship, Sean Dyche’s Burbley side continued their superb start to the season with a 2-0 victory at Doncaster Rovers.

Sam Vokes tucked away a penalty just before half-time after being fouled by Rob Jones, who completed his own nightmare evening by heading into his own net three minutes from time.

Barnsley stayed bottom but earned an impressive 1-1 draw with high-flying Reading, Chris O’Grady (79) cancelling out Hal Robson-Kanu’s (51) opener.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Middlesbrough’s winless run was extended to eight matches but young defender Ben Gibson’s 79th-minute header secured a deserved point against Huddersfield Town.

Luckless Boro looked on course for defeat when James Vaughan got the final touch on Oscar Gobern’s strike just before the hour for a fortuitous goal that was very much against the run of play.

The home side, who last won on August 10, had overcome a sluggish start to dominate for large spells and they were finally rewarded when Gibson powered a header home from a corner to ensure a 1-1 draw.

Keith Andrews rescued a point for Brighton with an 89th-minute leveller to deny Sheffield Wednesday their first win of the season in a 1-1 draw at the Amex Stadium.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Matty Fryatt, making his debut in a month-long loan deal from Hull, had fired Wednesday into a first-half lead, before Andrews hit a last-gasp equaliser from six yards.

Read match reports and reaction in Wednesday’s Yorkshire Post.