North Ferriby United beat Guiseley, plus York City in FA Trophy win

North Ferriby United gained a valuable win after beating Yorkshire rivals Guiseley 2-1.

A first-half Will Hatfield effort for Guiseley was cancelled out by Reece Thompson in the second half and Jake Skelton won it late on for the visitors.

Guiseley boss Adam Lockwood was disappointed afterwards as their long unbeaten home run ended “To lose to someone around us hurts, we have to move on quickly, but we were well below what we expected despite having chances to win this one.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We have to up the standards for the next game and credit Ferriby for beating us, they put in a good performance and we have not.”

With both sides fighting to avoid relegation, there was a lot on the line and early on it was a battle in midfield with few chances created.

A moment of real skill by Jordan Preston provided the home side with an opportunity as he nutmegged his way into the area and on the angle fired narrowly wide.

Guiseley soon took the lead when a pass found Hatfield, he let the ball past him and on the turn fired into the bottom corner of the goal to give the hosts the lead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

North Ferriby despite their lowly league position showed why they can still get out of the relegation places, with a Curtis Bateson cross narrowly missing Ben Middleton.

Just before half-time the visitors Matty Dixon was given plenty of room and from 25 yards out he tried to place an effort towards goal but it went wide with Guiseley keeper Jonny Maxted having his near post covered.

In added time Preston forced Rory Watson into a smart save as his effort looked to be going into the top right hand corner but was palmed away.

Ferriby started the second half with a big chance as Thompson on the angle hit an effort that hit the inside of the post and fell into the grateful hands of


Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Thompson though would not be denied again as from 30 yards he powered an effort into the goal, this fine strike brought the scores level and Ferriby now had momentum.

Things went from bad to worse for Guiseley when captain Danny Lowe was sent off after a coming together with Thompson.

And with moments to go a ball fell to Skelton in the area and he fired Ferriby into the lead and won them the game.

In the FA Trophy, York City beat Brackley Town 1-0 to reach the semi-finals thanks to a Jon Parkin goal.