Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Hull City: Tigers defeated by Idrissa Sylla's stoppage time winner

QPR 2-1 Hull CityQPR 2-1 Hull City
QPR 2-1 Hull City
Idrissa Sylla scored a stoppage-time winner for QPR as Hull City fell to a 2-1 defeat against QPR at Loftus Road.

Sylla netted after fellow-substitute Matt Smith had scored a 74th-minute equaliser to cancel out Jarrod Bowen's first-half opener for the visitors.

It piled more misery on injury-hit Hull, who would have snatched a point had Smith not cleared Michael Hector's far-post header off the line in the dying moments.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Tigers, already without the likes of striker Abel Hernandez, lost Kevin Stewart just nine minutes into his debut.

Midfielder Stewart, signed from Liverpool this summer and returning to action after an ankle problem, hobbled off following a challenge on Conor Washington.

Rangers tried to take advantage of their opponents' early misfortune and Freeman missed a great chance to give them the lead after 16 minutes.

Washington found space on the right and pulled the ball back for the Rangers playmaker, who side-footed wide of the target from 12 yards out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Instead it was Hull who went ahead 10 minutes before half-time. David Meyler sent in a cross from the right and Bowen held off a weak challenge from Kazenga LuaLua at the far post before stabbing the ball under goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

With his team struggling to create chances, R's boss Ian Holloway made a change 12 minutes into the second half, bringing Smith on for the ineffective LuaLua.

Smith's aerial threat immediately put Hull on the back foot and the striker headed straight at goalkeeper Allan McGregor from Jake Bidwell's left-wing cross before also heading wide from Luke Freeman's cross from the opposite flank.

Sylla then went close to levelling shortly after also being sent on by Holloway, turning in the box and seeing a left-footed shot hit the post and then bounce off McGregor and out for a corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However, the equaliser came a minute later. Freeman tricked his way past Bowen on the left and delivered a perfect cross for Smith to score from close range.

Hull responded with a spell of pressure but were undone in the final minute by Sylla.

A long punt forward from Smithies, who had just produced a point-blank save to deny Sebastian Larsson, bounced all the way through to Washington, who lifted the ball over McGregor before Sylla applied the finishing touch.

Hector then tried his hardest to earn Hull a point for their efforts, but Smith somehow managed to keep out to his header to preserve the victory for QPR.