Robins unhappy with poor defeat

BARNSLEY manager Mark Robins insisted that his side did not deserve to lose the South Yorkshire derby against Sheffield Wednesday.

The Tykes suffered a third consecutive defeat but Robins felt the pain was largely self-inflicted.

"Did Sheffield Wednesday beat us or did we beat ourselves? I think it is the latter," he said.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"We created the better openings and had more possession in the second half.

"We had the ball in the area enough to get a couple more goals and we had shouts for penalties but didn't get the rub of the green."

Robins admitted that he was 'concerned' by his side's recent reversal of fortune which has followed a run of eight games unbeaten that raised hopes of a possible play-off push.

The Tykes now sit eight points adrift of the top six and eight points clear of the relegation zone with 22 games still to play.

"That's a third defeat on the bounce and we have got to put the wood in the door and start building up again," he said.

"There is a fine line between winning and losing and I don't think we necessarily deserved to lose but we were second best in the penalty areas.

"We have to cut out the mistakes because you are going to get punished," he added.

"We shot ourselves in the foot too many times.

"There was a lot of passion and commitment from both sides and endeavour – but sometimes not enough control, not enough skill from both sides.

"It's disappointing because it's a local derby. Possibly, we should have been stronger in the challenges leading up to their goals."

Midfielder Bobby Hassell missed Saturday's game after picking up a groin strain but should be available again for Barnsley's next game against Leicester City in eight days' time.

Winger Jamal Campbell-Ryce, who came off the bench late on, is attracting interest from Bristol City.

Police defused a potentially volatile situation near the end of Saturday's game when Wednesday's on-loan midfielder Tom Soares was sent tumbling into the home crowd.

With away supporters close by, it sparked a problem for the stewards but was soon back under control.