Twelve hours after he revelled in his matchwinning effort in Manchester United’s Champions League quarter-final with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, Rooney discovered there had been no leniency shown by the FA for his foul-mouthed outburst at Upton Park on Saturday.
It is not so much confirmation Rooney was wrong that has irritated the 25-year-old.
In issuing a public apology so soon after the final whistle and being the father of a young child himself, Rooney understands the general vitriol.
What he cannot fathom is why previous instances of public swearing have gone unpunished whilst he must now miss two matches, one of which is the eagerly-anticipated FA Cup semi-final with Manchester City at Wembley on April 16.
“I am not the first player to have sworn on TV and I won’t be the last,” he argued.
“Unlike others who have been caught swearing on camera, I apologised immediately. And yet I am the only person banned for swearing. That doesn’t seem right.”
It is a view shared inside Old Trafford, where a feeling of being harshly treated has only been strengthened since Sir Alex Ferguson was handed a five-match touchline ban for his attack on referee Martin Atkinson following United’s previous visit to Stamford Bridge at the beginning of last month.
“Manchester United is clearly very disappointed with the decision,” said a statement issued by the Old Trafford outfit.
“The club put forward a very strong case to have the punishment reduced, which was unsuccessful.”
So, Rooney will not be available domestically again until April 19, when United head to Newcastle.
“I am gutted to miss two matches, one of which is an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley,” he said.
“Whatever, I have to accept that what’s happened has happened and move on from here.
“That is what I intend to do,” he added.
npower League 2: Macclesfield v Accrington Stanley (7.45).