Aldershot Town 2 Rotherham United 2: Millers miss out on extending season as late flag proves costly

LINGERING play-off hopes for both clubs were extinguished by this draw on the penultimate day of the season.

New Millers chief Steve Evans claimed: “We dominated for an hour and had to defend the last few minutes heroically but I suppose we go away the more disappointed of the two teams.”

The Millers had defender Tom Newey sent off for a second yellow late on and he was followed by Aldershot substitute Jordan Roberts for his second booking near the end of what had been a free-flowing encounter.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Evans added: “It was a fantastic game, two teams that tried to play the right way.

“We had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside. I think the delay of the assistant referee’s flag probably tells you that he’s not so sure.”

Gareth Evans gave Rotherham the lead sending goalkeeper Young the wrong way from the spot in the 11th minute after being tripped by Darren Jones but Peter Vincenti equalised in the 20th after a shot from Guy Madjo had been diverted into his path.

Taklor had a header cleared off the line but the Millers led at the interval after Sam Hoskins fired into the top corner after Alex Revell headed on a free-kick from goalkeeper Andy Warrington.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Young went full length to keep out a fine volley from Revell and Herd’s last-ditch challenge denied Evans but Madjo’s header gave Aldershot a 56th-minute equaliser after a corner had been blocked back to Vincenti, who chipped it across to the far post.

Schofield blazed a shot over the top before a header from Hoskins was eventually ruled out for off-side.

Evans also tested Young and Mullins produced a last-ditch challenge to deny Madjo before the dismissals in the last 10 minutes.

Aldershot Town: Young, Herd, Jones, Morris, Straker, Molesley (Roberts 66), Payne, Vincenti, Hylton, Madjo (Connolly 80), Risser (Mekki 55). Unused substitutes: Clement, Bergqvist.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham United: Warrington, Tonge, Bradley, Mullins, Newey, Evans, Jason Taylor (Harrison 86), Pringle (Wood 77), Schofield, Hoskins (Cadogan 90), Revell. Unused substitutes: Rhys Taylor, Naylor.

Referee: D Coote (Nottinghamshire).

Man of the match: Gareth Evans.