Torquay United 3 Rotherham United 3: Grabban double proves insufficient as Scott’s Millers are pegged back

Rotherham allowed Torquay to fight back from 3-1 down to earn a draw at Plainmoor, which cost the Millers top spot.

Lewis Grabban and Ryan Cresswell put the visitors 2-0 up within 10 minutes and after Billy Bodin had quickly pulled one back, Grabban restored the two-goal cushion in the 34th minute.

But the Gulls fought back as Kevin Nicholson made it 3-2 before the break and Rene Howe hit the equaliser less than two minutes into the second half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham chief Andy Scott, given his first coaching opportunity at Leyton Orient by opposite number Martin Ling, claimed: “We made some poor errors defensively and allowed a side who are always good going forward to get back in the game.

“It was an entertaining game certainly but it’s not the sort of entertainment I enjoy too much especially after being 3-1 up.

“We’ve had two tough away games, long journeys and the same team played both games, but we’re so close to being an outstanding side, I think everyone can see that.”

Rotherham went in front in the third minute, Evans cutting in from the left and his deflected shot was pounced on by Grabban.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They made it 2-0 when Danny Schofield’s deep corner was headed home by Cresswell.

Bodin responded with a 20-yarder to make it 2-1 before Evans whipped in a centre and Grabban diverted the ball in for his sixth goal of the season.

Nicholson struck at the second attempt to make it 3-2 and Howe equalised after bursting past Cresswell.

It remained thrilling stuff with chances at both ends, and in the last minute Rotherham were almost sunk but Bodin’s shot struck the post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Torquay United: Olejnik, Oastler, Robertson, Saah, Nicholson, Bodin, O’Kane, Mansell, Lathrope, Howe, McPhee (Atieno 75). Unused substitutes: Rowe-Turner,Ellis,Morris,Macklin.

Rotherham United: Logan, Tonge, Cresswell (Brown 77), Raynes, Newey, Harrison, Evans, Schofield, Marshall (Pringle 64), Revell, Grabban. Unused substitutes: Warrington, Taylor, Holroyd.

Referee: L Collins (Surrey).

Man of the match: Lewis Grabban.