Cambridge United 2 York City 1: Minstermen must make most of home comforts for run-in

York City received a setback to their promotion play-off hopes when their seven-match unbeaten run ended with this narrow defeat at struggling Cambridge, who had won only one of their previous 15 games.

York have now taken 17 points out of the last 24, crucially only two on their travels and it is this poor away form – they have the worst away record of the leading 11 teams – which is proving a handicap.

Still with nine games to play, six of them at home, they must still have every chance of reaching their target.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Cambridge just about deserved their win in a close contest which could have gone either way, home supporters revealing that this was their team’s best display for three months.

York began with a 4-3-3 formation but switched to 4-4-2 after 10 minutes and also played 4-2-4 as they tried to maintain their fine recent run.

They had their chances, Jamie Reed hitting the bar just after Liam Hughes had put Cambridge ahead in the 18th minute; Michael Rankine going close twice; Peter Till shooting over and David McGurk heading wide.

Although Reed equalised in the 24th minute and York did plenty of attacking in the second half with Rankine wasting a gilt-edged chance, Cambridge often stretched the York defence and after Hughes had been unlucky with a shot which rebounded from the bar, Danny Wright cracked home the winner in the 77th minute after bursting through the middle unchallenged.

York manager Gary Mills said: “It was the most open game since I joined the club and while it was a disappointing result we must bounce back on Saturday.”

Cambridge United: Brown; Roberts, Saah, Partridge, Jennings; Berry (Walker 59), Wellard, Bentley, Patrick (McAuley 88); Wright (Platt 88), Hughes. Unused substitutes: Naisbitt, Hudson.

York City: Ingham; Darville, McGurk, Parslow, Meredith; McDermott, Kerr, J Smith (Constantine 83); Reed (Carruthers 75), Rankine, Till. Unused substitutes: Knight, Hatfield, Boucaud.

Referee: N Kinsley (Wickford, Essex).

Man of the Match: Scott Kerr.