Cheltenham Town 1 York City 1: Goalkeeper Ingham to the rescue as frustrated Harrad is denied hat-trick

YORK City goalkeeper Michael Ingham was hailed by manager Gary Mills after winning his side a point at promotion-chasing Cheltenham.

Ingham denied Cheltenham marksman Shaun Harrad a hat-trick with two fine second-half saves, including a double-stop during stoppage time.

On-loan Bury forward Harrad did beat Ingham on 67 minutes but Jason Walker’s late strike levelled terms before Ingham’s heroics ensured an 11th League Two draw of the season.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A pleased Mills said: “Inghy’s double save was magnificent. He picked up a lot of pace to get across those two or three yards to make the second and that’s superb.”

Following an incident-free first half, Harrad opened the scoring with a curling shot into Ingham’s top left-hand corner after substitute Kaid Mohamed’s through ball when Dan Parslow failed to clear for the visitors.

York equalised on 84 minutes when Scott Kerr’s free-kick was met by Chris Smith at the far post and Walker beat goalkeeper Scott Brown from six yards.

The home side responded strongly with Ingham kicking away the danger following Jamal Fyfield’s sliding interception as Jermaine McGlashan looked to convert in the six-yard box. The goalkeeper then leaped back up to smother Harrad’s follow-up effort.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the sixth and final minute of stoppage time – York defender David McGurk sustained a neck injury – Steve Elliott dragged a 15-yard chance wide after substitute Tom Allan struggled to head clear.

Cheltenham Town: Brown; Jombati, Lowe, Elliott, Jones; Pack; Taylor (Deerring, 90), Carter (McGlashan, 65), Penn; Goulding (Mohamed, 65), Harrad. Unused substitutes: Duffy, Roberts, Bennett, Hanks.

York City: Ingham; Oyebanjo, McGurk (Allan, 71), Smith, Fyfield; Parslow; Potts (Reed, 73), Kerr, McLaughlin (Challinor, 73); Walker, Blair. Unused substitutes: Musselwhite, McReady, Platt, Bullock.

Referee: D Bond (Lancashire).

Man of the match: Michael Ingham.