Local Rugby Union: Onesi's try-double sparks Hull to victory in derby encounter

Hull RUFC 30Hull Ionians 15

National Two North

Hull won their important derby match against Ionians with a solid second half display to jump back into the top half of National League Two North.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

James Cameron's penalty opened the scores after eight minutes following an illegal challenge.

But Ionians responded with a try after 20 minutes when James Ferguson passed along the 22 for Sam Wilson to finish in the right corner as he broke through the line, although Ferguson missed the conversion.

Six minutes later, Mark Duxbury doubled the visitors' tally when Rob Kench suckered in the defence before offloading left where Duxbury's run from 15 metres took him over the line before the conversion was missed again.

Cameron scored another penalty with 10 minutes left in the half after Maea David was illegally fouled following pressure in the right corner from Chris Murphy.

On the stroke of half-time, Hull took the lead when Scott Plevey finished a 10-metre lineout which was awarded following a foul inside the half way line.

Hull came to life after the break as Sione Onesi scored two quickfire tries in the 60th and 63rd minutes.

The visitors did not regroup after conceding a foul 30 metres out and Cameron's quick tap and offload to Murphy allowed him to crash through the line before Onesi supported. Minutes later, he finished off another catch-and-drive from 15 metres out after a hashed clearance. Both tries were converted.

With 10 minutes remaining, Gary Stephenson responded for Ionians with a solo run from deep but James Kirk got Hull's bonus point with a minute left as Rob Devonshire spotted the run up the left and passed in time for Kirk to finish from 10 metres.

Hull are now eighth with Ionians two places and six points adrift of them.

Huddersfield YMCA 25

Roundhegians 10

Yorkshire Two

HUDDERSFIELD YMCA secured a five-point victory over Yorkshire Two rivals Roundhegians to boost their league campaign.

In what was the only Northern League match across Yorkshire to survive the weather, the home side led 15-0 at the break with flanker Tom Sharrock scoring twice and stand-off James Swift kicking a conversion and a penalty.

After the break the leaders extended their lead with winger Adam Ryder touching down and Sharrock completing his hat-trick.

For Roundhegians, winger Ryan Wilson scored two tries in the second half, but it was not enough to help his team avoid a defeat.

Cambridge 66

Otley 29

National One

OTLEY were caught cold in the low temperatures by second-placed Cambridge, who rushed to a 19 points lead within the first five minutes of the only National One game to survive the weather.

They had claimed the bonus try by 10 minutes and had added four more by half-time, Otley's reply being 10 points from fly-half Jervis Manupenu.

However, taking advantage of the break, Otley settled down to outplay their hosts throughout the second period to add three more tries which produced the bonus point which was probably the limit of their expectations though they did it in style.

With a 401 points tally, the highest in the league by far, Cambridge wasted no time in demonstrating their ability, Otley having no answer to their strong, direct, running, No 7 Darren Fox crossing in the first minute and being quickly followed by winger Mike Ayrton, scrum-half Ben Spencer converting both before adding a try.

Manupenu stepped up with a penalty for Otley but they failed to stem their formidable opponents, who ran in five more tries before half-time, though Manupenu did come up with a converted try after a typical powerful burst.

After conceding a penalty try immediately upon resuming, Otley began to express themselves, winger James Twomey chipping his opposite number to regather and race in, full-back Christian Georgiou, coming up at speed on halfway to dummy and dodge his way to the line and Twomey crossing in the final minute, taking his season's total to 10, after great pressure by the forwards from a five-metre lineout, Craig Hampson and Steven Depledge adding one conversion each.

Cambridge added just one more converted try but Otley certainly had the better of the second half and thoroughly deserved their bonus point.

The other home tries came from winger Jacko Du Toit (2), taking his total to 10, centre Greg White (2), No 6 Gareth McComb and prop Mark George with Spencer converting eight.

Leicester coach Richard Cockerill was ultimately satisfied as his side overcame a frustrating first half to beat Newcastle 44-19 at home in the Premiership.

After 35 tonnes of snow were cleared from the pitch and terraces to enable the game to take place, the Tigers led just 13-12 at the interval courtesy of a penalty try. But the efforts of stewards and volunteers were rewarded with a super second-half performance which saw the Tigers rack up five tries, two of which came from Manu Tuilagi.

Cockerill said: "Our discipline was very poor in the first half. We coughed up the ball far too easily. They didn't come to play but just wanted to sit back and frustrate us and kick their penalties. The boys had a word at half-time and we knew what we needed to do."