Murray wins after game moves to the edge of darkness

Andy Murray feared his French Open second-round match would go into a third day before finally polishing off Juan Ignacio Chela in the gloom of Roland Garros.

A succession of delays on a rain-blighted fifth day of the tournament threatened to derail the world No 4's attempt to wrap up what was a sixth straight victory over Chela.

But he survived the loss of the second set and two rain breaks to win 6-2 6-7 (5/7) 6-3 6-2 on Court One at 8.56pm local time and set up a third-round match with Marcos Baghdatis.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"It got dark quickly (last night) and at the end of the match I was lucky I managed to get another break," said Murray.

"Because I think, at max, we would have had two games left."

Murray returned to court yesterday afternoon at 3-3 in the second set after the contest was suspended in fading light at around 9.30pm on Wednesday following the first wet day of this year's tournament.

Murray initially struggled after the resumption, losing the second set and going a break down in the third before reeling off six games in a row to take a stranglehold on proceedings.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Revealing the difficulty of playing a match over two days, the 23-year-old added: "That was what was quite tough on Wednesday because you know you need to stay focused the whole time, but you know when you go on there's no chance of you finishing the match.

"Once you get ahead, it's maybe a little bit normal to press a little bit and rush a little bit.

"(Yesterday), when you're coming off the court and going on, sometimes for 15 minutes, sometimes for a little bit longer, it's tough to get into a rhythm. Staying on court for 30 minutes, 40 minutes, I started to feel a lot better."

Cypriot Baghdatis converted a two sets to one lead overnight into a 4-6 6-1 7-5 6-2 win over Marcel Granollers.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Andy Roddick's 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-2 win over Blaz Kavcic was one of only two men's singles match to start and finish yesterday, the American sixth seed enjoying only marginally more serene progress than in his first-round five-setter.

No 17 seed John Isner recovered from a set down overnight to beat Marco Chiudinelli 6-7 (3/7) 7-6 (7/3) 7-6 (9/7) 6-4 and Fabio Fognini finally completed an epic comeback against French No 13 seed Gael Monfils. With the match level at 5-5 in the fifth set at yesterday's resumption, Fognini sealed a 2-6 4-6 7-5 6-4 9-7 success.

Former world No 1 Ana Ivanovic was crushed 6-3 6-0 in the second round by No 28 seed Alisa Kleybanova.

Justine Henin will have to return today to complete her second-round match with Klara Zakopalova after play was suspended in the second set.

The Belgian led 6-3 3-2 when the conditions brought an end to the night's play.

Related topics: