Beaten Robins lose key man Lunt with serious knee injury

Hull KR were rocked by the news captain Shaun Lunt ruptured knee ligaments inside two minutes of their defeat at Warrington on Saturday '“ and he could face up to three months on the sidelines.

Shaun Lunt
Shaun Lunt

Robins coach Tim Sheens confirmed the bad news, saying: “Shaun has ruptured knee ligaments and clinically it’s three months which is the initial diagnosis but he will go for a scan today.

“Together with Danny McGuire he has made such a difference at the club and to the team with his general play so it’s a major blow for us.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

“We got ourselves back into the game in the second half but the last 15 minutes of the first half was where the damage was done.

“We started strongly and losing Shaun didn’t help and we lost our direction a little and ended up doing too much tackling.”

The Hull KR boss was disappointed with the decision at the end of the first half when Warrington claimed their fourth try in controversial circumstances, as Taioalo Vaivai appeared to ground a Tyrone Roberts kick before Jack Hughes touched down for his second try. After consulting with his touch judge, referee Jack Smith awarded the try to give the Wolves a commanding lead.

“I have a picture of Vaivai putting his hand on the ball and grounding it but three officials miss it so I was very disappointed with that decision,” Sheens said. “At the end of the day it made it that much harder for us.

“At the end of the day there’s controversial decisions every week for every team so it is what it is and you live with those things, it doesn’t bring the points back. But if you are going to have in-goal judges they need to be there for a reason. We just didn’t have enough troops as we were busted or the energy for the last 15 minutes of the game.”

Warrington coach Steve Price was delighted to see his side “get the job done” as they survived a Hull KR revival to claim their sixth straight Super League win with a 40-26 victory at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Wolves appeared to be coasting to victory as they led 22-2 at half-time, but the Robins claimed three tries in the opening nine minutes of the second half to cut the deficit to just two points and set up a frantic last half hour.

Warrington steadied themselves and second-half tries by Tom Lineham, Stefan Ratchford and Ryan Atkins saw them to a victory which keeps Warrington in third spot in the table.

Price said: “That’s what good teams do, find a way to get it done and we did that today.

“I was disappointed with our start to the game, especially with our intent and attitude of what we wanted to display, and to come out in the second half and see them score some quick tries was disappointing.

“But good teams find a way and I’m proud of the guys for managing to do that. We didn’t panic and stayed at it with our game plan and racked up 40 points.

“There’s still a lot more in us though. It’s a week at a time for us and a long way to go. We know where we need to get to and what we want to become.”