Castleford Tigers and Leeds Rhinos to lock horns in Challenge Cup semi-finals

A Yorkshire team will contest the Carnegie Challenge Cup final after Castleford Tigers were drawn to play Leeds Rhinos in the semi-final.

Castleford today beat Huddersfield while Leeds won at Hull FC.

Hull KR were knocked out by St Helens at Widnes. Saints will now play Wigan, who ended Warrington’s two-year-reign as champions on Saturday.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Carnegie Challenge Cup semi-final draw:

Wigan v St Helens

Castleford v Leeds

Ties to be played August 6-7.

Today’s games:

Hull 22 Leeds 38

Kevin Sinfield rewrote the Leeds record books as the Rhinos came from behind to reach the Carnegie Challenge Cup semi-finals at the expense of Hull today.

The Rhinos captain kicked seven goals to take him five past the mark of 1,244 set by the legendary Lewis Jones as his side recovered from a 16-6 half-time deficit at the KC Stadium.

Hull had seemed well in control after two first-half tries from Jordan Turner and one from Sam Obst but Ben Jones-Bishop kept Leeds in contention.

Two touchdowns from Carl Ablett and further scores from Brett Delaney and Ali Lauitiiti then turned the tide in the Rhinos’ favour before Jones-Bishop added another late on.

St Helens 54 Hull KR 6

St Helens cruised into the last four of the Challenge Cup with a ruthless destruction of Hull Kingston Rovers.

Comeback star Leon Pryce helped clinch Saints a semi-final appearance for the 11th season in a row.

Pryce, making his first start since March after a nightmare run of injuries, scored the first of Saints’ 10 tries as they secured a last-four clash with Wigan.

It was Pryce’s first try for 12 months after Lee Gaskell made way for his return.

Half-back partner Jonny Lomax and James Roby were also outstanding for Saints as Rovers were routed.

Castleford Tigers 22 Huddersfield Giants 18

Castleford reached the semi-finals of the Carnegie Challenge Cup after overcoming Huddersfield in a thrilling encounter at the PROBIZ Coliseum.

The Tigers were far from clinical but they produced moments of brilliance interspersed with dogged determination to keep alive Terry Matterson’s hopes of claiming a trophy in his final season with the club.

Converted tries from Kirk Dixon and Jordan Thompson gave the home side the perfect start although Scott Grix’s score halved the deficit at half-time.

Jermaine McGillvary then crossed as the Giants threatened a comeback but further efforts from Castleford’s Danny Orr and Ryan Hudson - in-between Leroy Cudjoe’s try - put the hosts on course for the win.

Michael Lawrence stretched out for a try near the end but Castleford held on.