Super League: Easter Monday wins for Hull KR, Hull, Leeds Rhinos and Castleford

HULL KR and Leeds Rhinos won the big Yorkshire derbies on a busy Easter Monday of Super League action. Log on here for reports from all Yorkshire’s clubs.

Hull FC's Fetuli Talanoa (left) celebrates his try against St Helens during First Utility Super League match at Langtree Park, St Helens. (Picture: Martin Rickett/PA Wire).

Hull KR 20 Huddersfield Giants 16

Hull KR made it three wins in a row with a 20-16 win over Huddersfield at the KC Stadium.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It was the first time the Robins had managed to win both Super League games over Easter.

Chris Chester’s side started the brighter and opened the scoring in the third minute.

Darrell Goulding, who returned to the side in time for the 224th derby, was given the freedom of the park by a generous Giants defence to stroll through and score. Josh Mantellato, normally so reliable, missed with a conversion he should have kicked however.

Huddersfield’s defeat to Salford looked to have taken its toll on the Giants players as they struggled to get into the game early on. They lacked direction and a cutting edge which was unusual with the likes of Danny Brough and Luke Robinson in the squad. Too many passes were going astray for the visitors with Anthony Mullally losing the ball going for the line the worst of them.

It took a one-on-one steal from Ukuma Ta’ai on James Donaldson to spark Paul Anderson’s side into life. Moments later Brough sent Joe Wardle over for an easy try and Brough added the extras for a 6-4 lead.

The lead lasted just four minutes though as Rovers rallied well. Robinson fumbled the restart, giving Rovers the ideal position to attack from. Terry Campese’s high kick was missed but Graeme Horne was in the right place at the right time to score against his former club. Mantellato missed his second conversion but Rovers led 8-6.

The slender advantage did not hold for long though as Huddersfield went in front after just five minutes, Ta’ai powering over from close range with Brough adding the extras to make it 12-8.

Five minutes later, Albert Kelly squirmed his way over the line to give Rovers a 14-12 lead after Mantellato finally landed his first kick at goal.

Rovers extended their lead to 18-12 on the hour mark when Kevin Larroyer’s kick was gathered by Mantellato who spun his way over the line. The winger however, missed his third conversion, but Rovers held a six-point lead.

Terry Campese tried to make it a seven-point lead, but his drop goal 11 minutes from time drifted wide.

A penalty two minutes from time, converted by Mantellato, gave Rovers a 20-12 lead.

But there was still time for the Giants to score a late consolation try through Aaron Murphy. Brough missed the conversion, but Rovers won 20-16.

Leeds Rhinos 48 Wakefield Trinity 22

Kevin Sinfield passed 4,000 career points as Super League leaders Leeds deepened bottom-of-the-table Wakefield’s woes with a thumping 48-22 win at Headingley Carnegie.

Leeds ran in 11 tries to beat Wakefield 60-6 in the Challenge Cup fourth round a year ago to the day and they were in a similar mood on Easter Monday, although Wakefield had their moments on this occasion.

Sinfield, who returned to the side at loose forward after a three-game absence, became only the fourth player in rugby league history to pass the 4,000-point mark when he converted Zak Hardaker’s try.

Rob Burrow, on a rare appearance at scrum-half, went over twice in the first half to pass 1,000 points for the club and move level with Ade Gardner in seventh place on the list of all-time leading try-scorers in Super League.

Tim Smith, Craig Hall and Jarrod Sammut crossed for the Wildcats in an entertaining opening 40 minutes but they were reflecting on a seventh successive defeat at full-time despite Daniel Smith’s late effort.

St Helens 20 Hull FC 28

Hull bounced back from Thursday’s derby defeat to Hull KR to snatch a surprise 28-20 victory at Langtree Park, condemning St Helens to a third straight defeat.

A long-distance Jamie Shaul try was enough to seal a win that shocked the home side, who appeared to be hanging on after their Good Friday exertions.

The injury-hit champions - who were in the wars again last week, losing to rivals Wigan - started with two teenage debutants in their three-quarters, and Hull sensed that there were some seams to pick at.

Warrington Wolves 14 Castleford Tigers 22

Warrington suffered their fourth successive Super League defeat as Castleford claimed a hard-earned 22-14 victory at the Halliwell Jones stadium.

The scores were locked at 10-10 in a tense second half when prop forward Grant Millington made a superb midfield break and Adam Milner was on hand to take his pass and touch down for a crucial score with 15 minutes remaining.

Three minutes later a Ben Currie charge-down bounced straight into the hand of Tigers half-back Luke Gale, who raced 60 metres to set up the position from which Ben Roberts claimed what was to prove the match-winning try.

Kevin Penny gave the Wolves some faint hope with a late try but it was not enough as Daryl Powell’s men held on for two vital points.