Unbeaten Rovers hit Barrow in 10-try blitz

Captain Liam Finn helped Championship favourites Featherstone maintain their perfect league record.

Scrum-half Finn scored a try, had a hand in several more and landed nine goals as Rovers inflicted promoted Barrow’s third successive defeat.

Featherstone’s 10 tries were all scored by different players as they continued their impressive start in their bid to lift the League Leaders’ Shield for the fourth year running.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They were 46-0 ahead at half-time against the outclassed Raiders who salvaged some pride with an improved second-half show.

Finn sparked the first-half spree when his neat kick created a fifth-minute try for Anthony England.

Ben Kaye then went in from acting half before ex-Wakefield prop Matt James bagged his first try for the club from Finn’s slick pass.

Ian Hardman darted over and substitute Andy Kain scored an individual try after 25 minutes with his first touch of the ball.

The one-way traffic continued when Andy Bostock and Finn linked to put in Matty Dale and Tommy Saxton crossed at the corner from Kyle Briggs’s pass.

Featherstone’s eighth try came three minutes before half-time when Tom Hodson capitalised on slick play by Kain and Hardman.

Barrow showed far more determination in the second-half.

They staged a mini revival when Dan Toal scored two tries, both converted by Sean Casey.

But Rovers finished easy winners after completing the rout when Andy Ellis sent in James Lockwood and Finn finished a delightful move 10 minutes from time.

Rovers coach Daryl Powell said: “We were superb in the first-half. It was the best half of football we’ve played for a long time.

“We produced quick off-loads and showed great passing skills.”

Featherstone Rovers: Hepworth; Hodson, Hardman, Worthington, Saxton; Briggs, Finn; England, Kaye, James, Lockwood, Bussey, Dale. Substitutes: Crossley, Bostock, Ellis, Kain.

Barrow Raiders: McGilvray; Clay, Wiper, Larkin, Backhouse; Kaighan, Casey; Brennan, Mossop, Whitehead, Harrison, Jones, Toal. Substitutes: Dandy, Dawson, Haggarty, Low.

Referee: R Laughton (Barnsley).