Warrington Wolves 80 Hull FC 10: Sorry Airlie Birds embarrassed by rampant Wolves

HULL FC continued their freefall when they were thrashed by a Warrington Wolves desperate to bounce back from the heartbreak of their Challenge Cup final defeat.

Warrington's Stefan Ratchford breaks the attempted tackle by Hull FC's Carlos Tuimavave. Picture: Alex Whitehead/SWpix.com

The Wolves showed no sign of a hangover just five days after their Wembley loss to Catalans Dragons as they romped to a 14-try victory that keeps them clear of Huddersfield Giants, their next opponents in the Super 8s, in the chase for fourth spot.

The 80-10 scorelines saw the hosts record their highest-ever Super League score against the Black and Whites.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Centre Bryson Goodwin scored five tries, one short of the Super League record held by Bradford winger Lesley Vainikolo, and fellow Australian Tyrone Roberts scored one and succeeded with 12 of his 14 conversion attempts to finish with a 28-point haul.

AND ANOTHER: Warrington's Bryson Goodwin scores one of his FIVE tries against Hull FC on Thursday night. Picture: Alex Whitehead/SWpix.com

Hull, who were without seven regulars through injury, looked like a side desperate for the end of the season as they crashed to a seventh successive defeat, conceding the most points in their history.

They lacked creativity in the absence of Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd and Jake Connor and their defence was embarrassingly threadbare at times.

Wolves winger Josh Charnley opened the scoring inside three minutes after a superb offload in midfield by prop Mike Cooper created the opening, although Hull actually drew level six minutes later from their first attack when winger Fetuli Talanoa pounced on a handling error by Toby King, who quickly atoned when he latched onto scrum-half Roberts’s crossfield kick for his first try.

Goodwin touched down twice in eight minutes before King grabbed his second after Hull full-back Jamie Shaul fumbled Roberts’s kick. Loose forward then Jack Hughes then scored Warrington’s sixth try of the first half, Roberts kicking his fifth conversion to make it 34-6 at the break.

ANOTHER ONE: Warrington's Josh Charnley scores a try. Picture: Alex Whitehead/SWpix.com

Goodwin doubled his first-half tally of tries within five minutes of the re-start, although centre Josh Griffin did pull a try back for the visitors after 49 minutes.

Substitute Joe Philbin, Charnley, Roberts and Tom Lineham and Ratchford went past paper-thin tackling before Goodwin raced onto Lineham’s kick to take his tally to five.

Warrington Wolves: Ratchford, Lineham, Goodwin, T. King, Charnley, K. Brown, Roberts, Hill, Clark, Cooper, Murdoch-Masila, Thompson, Hughes. Substitutes: Patton, Philbin, G. King, Pomeroy.

Hull FC: Shaul, Faraimo, Griffin, Tuimavave, Talanoa, Abdull, Harris, Taylor, Houghton, Paea, Washbrook, Hadley, Manu. Substitutes: Bienek, Lane, Litten, Matongo.

Referee: Liam Moore (RFL).