Wigan Warriors 30 Hull KR 16: Rovers see promising position disappear as Wigan prevail

Josh Charnley scored a hat-trick as Wigan made it two wins from two over Easter to go level with Warrington at the top of Super League.

Hull KR's James Webster.

Given how under-manned KR were, and considering their Good Friday implosion against bitter rivals Hull FC, that they led 10-4 at the break was a significant shock.

But Wigan found a way to win and back up their success over St Helens three days earlier.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It had looked like Wigan would head into half-time in front thanks to a well-worked try for the returning Lewis Tierney, but the Warriors switched off and conceded two tries in the final three minutes from Graeme Horne and former Wigan centre Iain Thornley.

Two tries in four second-half minutes for winger Charnley put the Warriors back in control, but Hull KR were not behind for long as Thornley continued to hurt his former employers with his second score of the game.

Wigan had to dig deep after that and quick-fire tries from Dom Manfredi and Oliver Gildart saw them turn the game around with Charnley completing his hat-trick to make it seven wins from eight this season.

It took until the 26th minute to see some points and it was Tierney who benefited as he collected a neat inside ball from Joel Tomkins to go over. Charnley was off target with his conversion.

A lack of composure with ball in hand and their discipline cost Wigan dear in the closing minutes of the first-half as Rovers captain Horne steamed onto a pass from Matty Marsh to touch down, before Thornley capitalised on a knock-on from Tierney to score right on the hooter. Dixon converted one as they led 10-4.

It took Wigan five minutes of the second half to get back on level terms with a try from nothing. Hull KR were attacking down Wigan’s left and after Dixon failed to keep hold Charnley picked up the loose ball and raced 90 metres to score under the posts, converting his own try.

Charnley was soon on hand to score his second of the night, but Rovers hit back through Thonrley, his try converted by Dixon to make it 16-14 to the visitors.

Wigan threw everything at Hull KR in the final quarter and the pressure finally told when, first Manfredi and then Gildart went over before Charnley completed a memorable night.

Wigan: Tierney, Manfredi, Gelling, Gildart, Charnley, O’Loughlin, Smith, Mossop, Waterworth, Clubb, J. Tomkins, Gregson, Bateman. Substitutes: Sarginson, Powell, Tautai, Sutton.

Hull K R: Dixon, Oakes, Thornley, Sio, Shaw, Marsh, Blair, Mulhern, Lawler, Tilse, Greenwood, Horne, Allgood. Substitutes: Moran, Cator, Wardill, Walker.

Referee: C Kendall (RFL).