Wood hat-trick as Rhodes ends four-year wait for Huddersfield

National Two North

Huddersfield 57

Nuneaton 13

Huddersfield bounced back from the previous week's defeat to run in eight tries past league newcomers Nuneaton.

Chris Johnson put them on their way with a penalty and the tries soon followed with winger James Wood and centre Thomas van Rooyen going over with Johnson adding the conversions.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Prop Alex Battye got in on the act moments later, his score taking the advantage to 22 points, before a late lapse in concentration allowed Nuneaton to chip off six points before half-time thanks to two penalties.

After something of a dressing down from the coaching staff for their late indiscretions, Huddersfield returned to the field determined not to allow any more slip-ups.

Wood grabbed his second try only a minute into the half and completed his hat-trick six minutes later with Johnson converting both to make it 36-6.

Nuneaton scored a converted try of their own but it failed to disrupt the home side's play as they went on to add three further tries. Gavin Rhodes scored his first after four years in the first team; second-half hooker substitute James Davies then set up Johnson for a try which he converted before Davies scored his fifth of the season, Johnson putting the final icing on the cake with the conversion.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

For the second successive week, Harrogate played a full part in an entertaining game but lost and were unlucky not to secure a bonus point.

From the kick-off, Harrogate's pack set up a long driving maul to create a series of attacking moves. A minor dust-up, involving many players, resulted in a Harrogate penalty from which Mike Aspinall struck.

Westoe counter-attacked and Harrogate were penalised for "hands in" at a ruck. Mark Bedworth's line kick gave Westoe an attacking lineout from which hooker Adair drove over to score a try converted by Bedworth.

Further Westoe attacks were contained and Aspinall put in several excellent clearing kicks. before making it 7-6 after 20 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Westoe's outstanding young No 8 Miles Scott drove over after a driving maul and, on the stroke of half-time, went further ahead from a Harrogate offside offence to make it 15-6 having enjoyed the advantage of the slope.

The Harrogate pack took control of the set pieces in the second half with Jake Brady outstanding. An apparently good try was disallowed in the corner but Aspinall's penalty reduced the deficit and waves of Harrogate attacks followed.

Westoe earned a five-metre lineout and a driving maul enabled Nesbitto to cross.

Aspinall then gathered an attacking Westoe kick at pace and more waves of attacking rugby followed before flanker Alex Rieder thundered over.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Harrogate continued to attack but Westoe's replacement back, Gavin Kerr, pounced on a midfield knock-on and hacked on to score.

More Harrogate attacks followed and when Westoe went offside, quick passing from the penalty created space for Ed Smithies to score the final try.

Manchester 14

Morley 27

Morley ended a tough start to the season when they notched a much-needed first win and a bonus point.

They started the brighter of the two struggling sides and stand-off Tom Burnell struck a drop goal after two minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Eight minutes later, the pack muscled their way over and captain Craig Field touched down with Charlie Spon-Smith converting.

Just before half-time, substitute outside centre Mark Pease crossed and Spon-Smith converted.

Morley continued to show all the running and their third try came within a minute of the restart, Pease going through.

They had another replacement to thank for the bonus point try, Simon Bradshaw touching down to complete the Morley scoring.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Lapses in concentration saw them concede two converted tries in the last 13 minutes to prop Marcus Smikle-Knox and, from the last move of the game, replacement centre Mark Richards.

Hull Ionians 15

Luctonians 39

Hull Ionians were out powered by the Luctonians forwards but went in at the break just 17-15 behind.

Luctonians then scored twice in seven minutes after the restart to take control.

Ionians conceded a scrum on their 22 straight from the kick-off and a simple dummy saw scrum-half Oli Williams through to send William Richards between the posts.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ionians came back strongly and a penalty by Dan Porter was followed by a series of pick and drives, which took play to the line where Adam Thomas darted over, Porter converting.

The visitors stole a scrum five metres out and recycled ball saw Williams cross, Morris again converting.

To close the half, a strong run from Rob Whittam sent in Porter before Morris hit a penalty.

Powerful play after the break created space for Williams to race through before forward drives and a strong run from full-back Charles Meredith saw go between the posts, Morris converting both and later adding a penalty.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

An interception saw replacement scrum-half Brett Prior run clear for the final score.

Caldy 26

Hull 17

LATE pressure from Hull was not enough to secure a bonus point.

The league's top scorer, Craig Ross, soon struck in the left corner and Richard Vasey converted this and a second try from Gavin Roberts, who had left three defenders in his wake.

In first-half stoppage time, Will Robinson scored for Hull when he capitalised on a pass from Tevita Vaikona.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Caldy scored a converted try soon after the restart and Gareth Owen picked up the bonus point when a speculative kick bounced away from Vaikona.

Vasey converted but Robinson scored the second Hull try and Ben Dorrington converted to give them impetus for the last 15 minutes. They added another try in stoppage time through Vaikona but Dorrington missed the kick to deprive them of a bonus point.