York Maze announces summer opening with the creation of 100 seasonal jobs

York Maze is to re-open this summer following the Covid-19 lockdown with 100 seasonal jobs on offer to meet extra demand, it has been announced.

The award-winning attraction was unable to open last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

With things looking a little brighter this year, owner and farmer Tom Pearcy has announced plans to re-open the maze with 100 vacancies on offer in various roles, including catering and hospitality.

Sign up to our Business newsletter

Sign up to our Business newsletter

Mr Pearcy said: "This time last year, with the country facing rising levels of Covid-19 infection, I made the difficult decision not to open York Maze. It was a gut-wrenching decision to have to make and I encouraged the staff who would normally work our summer season to find alternative jobs.

Farmer and avid Star Wars fan Tom Pearcy carved a giant image of some of the original characters from the sci-fi saga into his field of maize plants near York to mark the 40th anniversary of the famous film franchise back in 2017.

"Now a year later, while still not out of the woods, the signs for the summer are looking positive and I am confident York Maze will be able to open.

"We are starting the process now to recruit and train our amazing team of staff to deliver the excellent customer service York Maze is renowned for.

Read More

Read More
Owner of York Maze searches for new ways of using land

Mr Pearcy said the maze will be prepared for any Covid secure guidelines and has earmarked Saturday, July 17, as the re-opening date, with tickets on sale from the beginning of May.

"We will assess the government guidelines as details are announced but plan to put tickets on sale at the start of May.”

Click here for more information and to apply for a seasonal job.