Date confirmed for inquest of Yorkshire man Shane Gilmer who was attacked and killed with a crossbow by his neighbour

A date has been set for the inquest of a Yorkshire man who was shot and killed with a crossbow by his neighbour three years ago.

Shane Gilmer.
Shane Gilmer.

Shane Gilmer, 30, was attacked and fatally injured with a crossbow by his neighbour Anthony Lawrence, at the home he shared with his partner in Southburn, near Driffield, on January 12, 2018.

Lawrence, 55, had broken into the home of Mr Gilmer and his pregnant partner Laura Sugden, 30, while they were enjoying an evening out.

He lay in wait until they returned home before attacking them both - killing Mr Gilmer, a housing officer for East Riding of Yorkshire Council, and leaving Miss Sugden with significant head and neck injuries. Fortunately she and their baby survived.

A search was launched to find Lawrence and his body was found in a remote area of North Yorkshire three days later. As a result no criminal trial took place.

The inquest into the circumstances of Shane’s death will take place at Hull Coroner's Court between April 12 and April 16 and a jury will be present.

Ison Harrison solicitors are representing Miss Sugden at the inquest.

A firm spokeswoman said: "Shane and Laura lived next door to Anthony Lawrence in a semi-detached property in Southburn, near Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire. The couple had been together for two years and shared their home with Laura’s daughter from a previous relationship.

Read More

Read More
Humberside Police officer guilty of gross misconduct after drinking alcohol whil...

"During the attack both Laura and Shane managed to call the emergency services.

"Anthony Lawrence was subsequently found dead on January 14, 2018. The inquest into his death has not yet taken place."

The inquest will be heard before a jury, as it is arguable on the evidence that substantive duties under Article 2(1) of the European Convention of Human Rights have been breached in relation to the death.

Whether the calls from the emergency services were correctly graded and prioritised;

Whether the communication between the police and the ambulance service during the response was adequate;

Whether the closest resources were deployed to attend the incident, and;

Whether the treatment and decision-making surrounding Mr Gilmer's injuries were adequate, in particular the timing of the decision to extract him from the scene.