Parole hearing could see killer Noye released

Double killer Kenneth Noye could be freed after getting a parole hearing, sparking anger from the parents of one of his young victims.

Kenneth Noye

Noye, 67, was jailed for life in 2000 for the murder of electrician Stephen Cameron, 21, in a road rage attack.

The career criminal had earlier stabbed to death an undercover officer outside his mock Tudor mansion after the £26 million Brink’s Mat bullion heist but successfully pleaded self-defence.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Stephen’s father Ken branded his son’s killer “evil” and said he should die in jail.

Mr Cameron told The Sun: “He left my son dying in the gutter and fled to Spain. I don’t believe for a minute he has changed his ways, it’s a load of old rubbish. He’ll always be a dangerous man.

“Noye should never be allowed out of prison. He is an evil man and has never shown any remorse for what he did.”

Noye stabbed Stephen in the heart and liver with a nine inch knife as the electrician’s 17-year-old fiance screamed for help following an altercation on the M25 Swanley interchange in Kent in May 1996.

He fled to Spain, becoming Britain’s most wanted man and sparking a massive manhunt. He travelled on a false passport and went into hiding for several years, but was eventually tracked down to southern Spain and in 1998 was extradited back to the UK.

The gangster stood trial at the Old Bailey where a huge security operation was put in place amid concerns key witnesses and jurors could be intimidated.

He was found guilty and jailed for life, and was later given a minimum tariff of 16 years.

Noye had already become one of Britain’s most notorious criminals after he was involved in a notorious gold bullion heist at Heathrow Airport in 1983.

The gang stole 6,000 gold bars, diamonds and cash in what was dubbed the “crime of the century”. Police launched an investigation, which soon focused on Noye’s mansion in Kent. It was in the grounds of this house that Noye stabbed to death undercover officer Detective Constable John Fordham in 1985.

He was cleared of murder after claiming he killed the officer in self-defence, but was jailed for 14 years for handling stolen bullion.

Former probation union chief Harry Fletcher told The Sun: “It is unusual for a lifer to be released after the first Parole Board hearing. But it paves the way for their freedom.” A Parole Board spokeswoman said: “His case has been referred to us.”

Noye was jailed in 2000 and ordered to serve a minimum of 16 years. He could be freed by the Parole Board this April because his sentence took into account time he served on remand while standing trial.

The spokeswoman added: “The Parole Board can only direct the release of a life sentence prisoner if it is satisfied that it is no longer necessary for him to be detained in order to protect the public from serious harm and, if it is so satisfied, it is required to release the prisoner.

“Each case is assessed on its own individual merits.”

She said cases such as this were regularly referred to them for consideration once a prisoner has served the minimum term, which Noye now has.