Lamb and ewe die in devastating sheep hut fire in Yorkshire

A lamb and ewe died in a devastating sheep hut fire in Yorkshire on Saturday, the fire service said.

Crews from Lythe and Whitby attended a fire to a sheep hut containing sheep and cattle in Mickleby, Saltburn-by-the-sea, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service said.

A farmer had extinguished the fire using a hosepipe prior to the arrival of crews shortly after 7am on Saturday, the service confirmed.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crews used thermal imaging camera and farmer's hose pipe to dampen down and tackle the blaze.

Crews from Lythe and Whitby attended a fire to a sheep hut containing sheep and cattle in Mickleby, Saltburn-by-the-sea, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service said.

Sadly, one lamb and ewe died in the fire, the fire service confirmed.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a fault in a heat lamp.