Woman issues warning after her dog ate ‘half a block of rat poison’ in Yorkshire park

A woman has issued a warning on Facebook after a hazardous dog walk in her local park.

Alissa Howroyd urged dog owners to be aware of the appearance of rat poison after her dog was rushed to the vet when she ingested “half a block” of it in a local park on Monday (February 14).

Writing in the ‘Guiseley and Yeadon Issues (and Surrounding Areas)’ Facebook group, Ms Howroyd told how she had been walking her dog in Nunroyd Park in Yeadon when disaster struck.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

“Just back from an emergency visit to the vets after my dog ingested half a block of rat poison! She picked this up directly opposite the entrance to the nursery in a bush at 8:30am today,” she wrote.

Alissa Howroyd urged dog owners to make themselves aware of the appearance of rat poison

The rat poison wasn’t the only dangerous situation Ms Howroyd and her dog encountered in the park.

“Whilst making a dash for home to get her to the vets, we turned the corner by the club house into smashed glass strewn everywhere…literally everywhere and in the grass!! (Paws ok thankfully),” she wrote.

“Just be aware and know what rat poison looks like. Seek urgent veterinary assistance if ingested. I’m guessing it’s very tasty for dogs given how she was gobbling it!”

One commenter noted they had also seen “glass bottles strewn all over” during a visit to the park earlier in the day.

The dog was rushed to the vet after eating rat poison, according to her owner

“I picked up all the bottles I could and put back in the bin. Lots of broken glass but I had no gloves so couldn't pick up,” they wrote.

An‌ ‌RSPCA‌ ‌spokesperson‌ ‌said:‌ ‌‌“This ‌report is ‌deeply‌ ‌distressing,‌ ‌and‌ ‌we hope this dog is recovering well from her ordeal.

“As‌ ‌ever,‌ ‌we‌ ‌urge‌ ‌anyone‌ ‌looking‌ ‌to‌ ‌report‌ ‌animal‌ ‌welfare‌ ‌concerns‌ ‌to‌ ‌contact‌ ‌our‌ ‌cruelty‌ ‌line‌ ‌on‌ ‌0300‌ ‌1234‌ ‌999. We also urge pet owners in the community to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

"If‌ ‌an‌ ‌individual‌ ‌fears‌ ‌their‌ ‌pet‌ ‌has‌ ‌been‌ ‌poisoned,‌ ‌it‌ ‌is‌ ‌vital‌ ‌they‌ ‌stay‌ ‌calm,‌ ‌remove‌ ‌the‌ ‌animal‌ ‌from‌ ‌the‌ ‌source‌ ‌of‌ ‌poison,‌ ‌contact‌ ‌their‌ ‌vet‌ ‌immediately,‌ ‌and‌ ‌follow‌ ‌their‌ ‌advice.‌ ‌

"A‌ ‌pet‌ ‌vomiting,‌ ‌expressing‌ ‌a‌ ‌depressed‌ ‌or‌ ‌sleepy‌ ‌demeanour,‌ ‌appearing‌ ‌drunk‌ ‌or‌ ‌uncoordinated,‌ ‌seizures,‌ ‌and‌ ‌breathing‌ ‌difficulties‌ ‌could‌ ‌all‌ ‌be‌ ‌sign‌ ‌of‌ ‌a‌ ‌potential‌ ‌poisoning‌ ‌incident.”‌

Leeds City Council has been contacted for further information.