These are some of Yorkshire's vanished rail routes.
Most closed in the 1960s, after the infamous Beeching Report recommended the mothballing of underused, unprofitable branch lines and country stations. Towns such as Richmond, Ripon and Wetherby lost their stations entirely. Many of the old lines have now been built over, while some have become heritage railways, greenways or cycle paths.
9. Richmond to Eryholme
Richmond was served by a small branch line, and also handled army traffic for Catterick Camp. The route closed in the late 1960s and the station is now a leisure centre. Much of the old line is a footpath.
This line closed in 1958. Some sections became footpaths, and structures including a crossing keeper's cottage at Sledmere, a water tower at Wharram and the Burdale Tunnel (pictured, which has now been sealed) survive.
This small agricultural line ran from Layerthorpe in York to Cliffe Common near Selby. By 1973 all but four miles of the route had closed. The last train ran in 1981. Part of the route is a heritage line and other sections are a cycle track.