The Big Fat Yorkshire Quiz of the Year: 125 questions to see how well you remember 2020
But how well do you know them - and all those people, some better known than others, who have been making the headlines over the past 12 months?
Here you can test your knowledge - and refresh your memory on some of the key moments - in this Yorkshire quiz of the year compiled by Tom Richmond, the Comment Editor. Good luck - and let us know how you would score if Yorkshire in 2020 was your specialist subject on Mastermind or your favourite TV quiz show.
1. Which of the original Calendar Girls received a MBE in the New Year honours?
2.Where was the first horse race of the new decade staged?
3. Wayne Rooney made his Football League debut against which Yorkshire club?
4. Which famous Yorkshire pub featured in the ITV detective series Vera?
5. Who said ‘Aliens exist, there’s no two ways about it?’
6. Who stepped down as chair of Bettys and Taylors of Harrogate?
7. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited which Yorkshire city in January?
8. Actor Derek Fowlds died in January. Which character did he play in TV’s Heartbeat?
9. The Government proposed relocating the House of Lords to which city?
10. Former British Rail manager Ron Cotton, who died in January, was instrumental in saving which railway line?
11. Which firm was named Best Rail Operator’ at this year’s Business Travel Awards?
12. Which businessman was named the new deputy chair of Welcome to Yorkshire?
13. Which rugby union legend revealed that their birth grandfather was “a steelworker in Rotherham”?
14. Name the Yorkshire international showjumper who won their first horse race as a jockey?
15. The first UK case of the deadly coronavirus was identified at which York hotel?
16. Which Yorkshire venue was named Theatre Building of the Year 2020 at The Stage Awards?
17. Name the latest polar bear to take up residence at Yorkshire Wildlife Park near Doncaster.
18. Which storm led to the Humber Bridge being fully closed for the second time in its history?
19. Jump jockey Paddy Broderick, who died aged 80, rode which legendary Yorkshire horse to back-to-back victories in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham?
20. Which acclaimed piece of art by David Hockney sold for more than £23m at auction?
21. Prior to Rishi Sunak’s appointment in February, who was the last Yorkshire MP to serve as Chancellor?
22. Which Cabinet minister was given responsibility for the Northern Powerhouse in Boris Johnson’s reshuffle?
23. Name the TransPennine Express managing director who resigned in March?
24. How did the 07.13 Harrogate to Leeds train make the headlines?
25. What device helped spark a fire at a Bramham farm after being eaten by a pig in March?
26. Wetherby staged the last race meeting in Britain before the coronavirus shutdown. On which date?
27. Which MP became Shadow Immigration Minister in Sir Keir Starmer’s first reshuffle as Labour leader?
28. Leeds West MP Rachel Reeves was appointed to which high-profile Shadow Cabinet role?
29. Which Yorkshire rider was crowned as the 2019-20 champion National Hunt jockey?
30. Where was NHS fundraiser Captain Sir Tom Moore born?
31. An illustration of the heroic NHS fundraiser by which cartoonist featured on the back of a Yorkshire bus in honour?
32. How many appearances did Norman Hunter, who died in April, make for Leeds United?
33. How did ‘Lynne of Skipton’ make history during the Covid-19 pandemic?
34. Chancellor Rishi Sunak launched a scheme known as CBIL. What did the acronym stand for?
35. Yorkshire-born Bob Weighton was the world’s oldest man when he died in May. What was his age?
36. Where was Bob Weighton born?
37. Which actress gave her backing to an appeal to save the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway?
38. The first horse race after the lockdown was won by which North Yorkshire trainer?
39. Which Parliamentarian has a Patterdale terrier named after Betty Boothroyd, the former Speaker?
40. In which county will Dr John Sentamu, the former Archbishop of York, spend his retirement?
41. Which Olympic medal winner produced a documentary, The Silent Battle, charting with struggle with mental health?
42. Which Yorkshire racehorse trainer was a castaway on Radio Four’s Desert Island Discs?
43. Name the former England international who left Yorkshire in June before a ball was bowled in the 2020 cricket season?
44. Jack Charlton, who died on July 10, made his Leeds United debut in April 1953 against which Yorkshire club?
45. How many appearances did Jack Charlton make for Leeds United in his record-breaking career?
46. Which Yorkshire broadcaster published a book in July entitled Fat Cow, Fat Chance?
47. Dame Jenni Murray stepped down this year as presenter of the BBC’s Woman’s Hour. When did she first become its main presenter?
48. Dame Jenni Murray obtained a degree in French and Drama from which Yorkshire university?
49. Who was named as the new main presenter of Woman’s Hour in succession to Dame Jenni Murray?
50. How much money did Transport Secretary Grant Shapps make available in July for trans-Pennine rail improvements?
51. Which Yorkshire council chief executive was seconded to spearhead the Government’s Test and Trace policy?
52. The Sunday Times named which Yorkshire beach as the best in Britain?
53. Mason Greenwood enjoyed a breakthrough year for Manchester United? Where was the footballer born?
54. Which heritage line reopened on Yorkshire Day?
55. Which vice-chancellor became the new chair of Yorkshire Universities on August 1?
56. Which high street store named Yorkshire as its best performing area in July?
57. Harrogate Town won promotion to the Football League in a Wembley play-off final. Who did they beat?
58. Name the manager who guided Harrogate Town to promotion to the Football League for the first time in the club’s history.
59. What is Harrogate Town’s nickname?
60. Who was named as the new president of the Rugby Football League?
61. For how many days were spectators permitted to attend the World Snooker Championships at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre due to Covid rules?
62. Which former world champion scored a maxim 147 break at the Crucible?
63. Which snooker player recorded the fastest ever win in a match at the World Championships?
64. Who visited Harrogate’s Army Training College in their new role as Honorary Colonel?
65. Which member of the Royal family visited a Sheffield baby bank in August?
66. The Yorkshire Jobcentre was a Channel Four fly-on-the-wall series set in which city?
67. Which North Yorkshire resident described Boris Johnson as a friend after accepting a peerage?
68. The former MP Harold Best, who died in August, served from 1997 to 2005 in which constituency?
69. The fly-on-the-wall documentary Our Yorkshire Farm was a TV hit for which broadcaster?
70. How many live viewers did Our Yorkshire Farm attract on August 11?
71. Name the farming couple at the centre of this series.
72. Who became the new honorary president of the Yorkshire Philharmonic Choir in August?
73. The work of which Yorkshire sculptor was celebrated online by Google in August?
74. Which actor played the vet James Herriot in the Channel 5 spin-off of All Creatures Great and Small?
75. Which Hollyoaks actress starred in the new adaptation of All Creatures?
76. Which market town became the new setting for Darrowby, the fictional town at the heart of All Creatures?
77. Siegfried Farnon was originally played by Robert Hardy. Who depicted him in the new series?
78. The train which the new James Herriot caught from Glasgow to Yorkshire was heading to which fictional location in the new Channel 5 series?
79. The actress Dame Diana Rigg died in September. Where was she born?
80. One of Dame Diana Rigg’s latest roles was in Channel 5’s All Creatures Great and Small. What was the name of her character?
81. Galileo Chrome won the St Leger at Doncaster under which jockey?
82. How many world records did wheelchair racer Hannah Cockroft break at a competition on September 13?
83. How did Hannah Cockroft celebrate her successes?
84. What came first for Leeds United footballer Kalvin Phillips - his first England cap or Premier League debut?
85. Shipley MP Philip Davies married which former Cabinet minister in September?
86. Who was named as the new president of Yorkshire Agricultural Society?
87. Yorkshire cyclist Connor Swift rode for which team in the Tour de France?
88. From which town did Sir Keir Starmer deliver a virtual speech to the Labour conference?
89. Name the billionaire brothers who purchased Leeds-based supermarket giant Asda.
90. What was the value of their deal with Asda’s former owners Walmat?
91. Cricketer Ian Botham is now known, following his peerage, as Lord Botham of which North Yorkshire parish?
92. Olympic champion Nicola Adams appeared on Strictly Come Dancing. Which professional dancer partnered her?
93. Squadron Leader Tom Bould from Bradford is the new leader of which air display team?
94. Which Yorkshire-born actress was made a Dame in the Queen’s Birthday Honours?
95. Liam Moore was one of the youngest-ever referees for rugby league’s Challenge Cup final. How old was he at the time of the match?
96. Look North presenter Harry Gration stepped down in October. When did he first join the BBC?
97. Harry Gration and his family live in Scarborough but where was he born?
98. Which town was named as the UK's best place to work from home?
99. Which Yorkshire artist celebrated their 80th birthday on October 22?
100. Which Yorkshire-born author produced a compilation of their work as a journalist that was subtitled Between The Covers?
101. How much money was Covid lockdown costing Yorkshire’s horse racing industry according to a report by Sheffield Hallam university?
102. Which superstar racehorse won Wetherby’s Charlie Hall Chase?
103. What 2021 sporting event was cancelled on November 11?
104. Which tourist venue launched a trailblazing digital click and collect service during the second lockdown?
105. Which MP described The Yorkshire Post as “God’s own newspaper” during a Parliamentary debate on the levelling up agenda?
106. Which entrepreneur launched a new Laptops for Kids campaign in Sheffield?
107. Maurice Setters, who died in Doncaster in November at the age of 83, was best man at the wedding of which famous footballer?
108. Who resigned as leader of Sheffield City Council in November?
109. Which hostelry was named pub of the year at Welcome to Yorkshire’s White Rose Awards?
110. Which venue at the same awards was named Large Visitor Attraction of the Year?
111. Who wrote a family memoir entitled Like Father Like Son?
112. Paul McShane, rugby league’s newly-crowned Man of Steel, plays for which club?
113. Who is the new royal patron of the York Minster Fund, replacing the disgraced Duke of York?
114. Rob Williams was named headteacher of the year. Where does he teach?
115. York Christmas Trees was asked to supply a spruce for which famous London residence?
116. The last Pacer trains were taken out of service in November. To the nearest million, how many miles did the fleet travel on the Northern network?
117. Who did Ryedale Council vice-chairman Nathan Garbutt-Moore choose to be his official escort?
118. How many marathons did Kevin Sinfield run on consecutive days in December to raise funds for fellow rugby league legend Rob Burrow who is fighting MND?
119. Kevin Sinfield completed his final marathon in what time?
120. Which Yorkshire town did the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit during their round Britain tour to thank Covid volunteers?
121. Nick Hewer has announced that he’s stepping down as host of which TV programme?
122. Hull’s Shaun Blagdon was named Co-op Neighbour of the Year. On which street does he live in the city?
123. Which long standing P&O ferry reportedly sailed from Hull for the final time in December?
124. Northern Ballet won a coveted accolade at the South Bank Sky Arts Awards for which production?
125. Carol Humphreys was named a postie of the year this month. Where does she deliver mail?
1. Angela Knowles 2. Catterick 3. Barnsley 4. Tan Hill Inn 5. Dame Helen Sharman 6. Lesley Wild 7. Bradford 8. Oscar Blaketon 9. York 10. Settle to Carlisle 11. TransPennine Express 12.Jas Athwal 13.Brian Moore 14. Joe Whitaker 15. StayCity 16. Leeds Playhouse 17. Rasputin 18.Storm Ciara 19.Night Nurse 20.The Splash 21.Denis Healey 22.Grant Shapps 23.Leo Goodwin 24. Britain’s most cancelled train 25. Pedometer 26. March 17 27. Holly Lynch 28. Shadow Chancellor for the Duchy of Lancaster 29. Brian Hughes 30. Keighley 31. Graeme Bandeira 32. 726 33. First member of public to ask question at Downing Street press conference 34. Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan scheme 35. 112 36. Hull 37. Jenny Agutter 38. Roger Fell 39. Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the current Speaker 40. Northumberland 41. Nile Wilson 42. Mark Johnston 43. Tim Bresnan 44. Doncaster Rovers 45. 773 46. Dame Jenni Murray 47.1987 48. Hull 49. Emma Barnett 50. £589m 51. Tom Riordan 52. Runswick Bay 53. Bradford 54. North Yorkshire Moors Railway 55. Professor Shirley Congdon, Bradford 56. Hotel Chocolat 57. Notts County 58. Simon Weaver 59. The Sulphurites 60. Clare Balding 61. Three 62. John Higgins 63. Ronnie O’Sullivan 64. Captain Sir Tom Moore 65. Duchess of Cambridge 66. Leeds 67. Sir Ian Botham 68. Leeds North West 69. Channel 5 70. 2.26 million 71. Amanda and Clive Owen 72.Stephen Cottrell, Archbishop of York 73. Dame Barbara Hepworth 74. Nicholas Ralph 75.Rachel Shenton 76. Grassington 77. Samuel West 78. Brawton 79. Doncaster 80. Mrs Pumphrey 81. Tom Marquand 82. Four 83. With a McDonald’s meal 84. England cap 85. Esther McVey 86. Sir William Worsley 87. Arkea-Samsic 88. Doncaster 89. Mohsin and Zuber Issa 90. £6.8bn 91. Ravensworth 92. Katya Jones 93. Red Arrows 94. Maureen Lipman 95. 25 96. 1978 97. Bradford 98. Harrogate 99. Ashley Jackson 100. Jilly Cooper 101. £115m 102. Cyrname 103. Tour de Yorkshire 104. The Piece Hall 105. Holly Lynch 106. David Richards 107. Sir Bobby Charlton 108. Julie Dore 109. The Drovers Arms at Skipwith 110. Harewood House 111. Sir Michael Parkinson 112. Castleford Tigers 113. Prince of Wales 114. Malton School 115. 10 Downing Street 116. 300 million 117. His three-year-old dog Earl 118. Seven 119. 3 hours, 41 minutes and 39 seconds 120. Batley 121. Countdown 122. Ella Street 123. Pride Of York 124. Victoria 125. Maltby