Burnley 3 Huddersfield Town 2: Ings double sinks Town but Robins left with ho complaints

Huddersfield Town manager Mark Robins felt his side got exactly what they deserved after a narrow defeat at title-chasing Burnley.

Danny Ings’s double helped Burnley back into the Championship top two in a 3-2 victory, taking his tally to 19 in all competitions with two first-half goals, while former Manchester City full-back Kieran Trippier sealed the win with 11 minutes remaining.

Ex-Burnley striker Martin Paterson scored twice for the Terriers on his first return to Turf Moor since leaving in the summer, but it was not enough for the visitors.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“After the way we’ve been playing of late, I thought we were disappointing for large parts of the game,” said a disappointed Robins afterwards.

“I didn’t think we deserved anything from the game because I didn’t think we played particularly well and I thought it took us until 3-1 down to get any life in us.

“But having said that, we could have got something out the game in the end and I think had we done so it would’ve been great - but it would have been slightly unjust.

“Their first goal was very dubious in all fairness. He was offside, but I’m not going to moan too much.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We just had a game against Burnley at home where a couple of decisions went our way, it’s swings and roundabouts in football sometimes.

“There were some good positives to take from it – Paterson scored another couple of goals. Even though we haven’t played to our potential, we were within a whisker of a draw.”

Burnley got off to the best possible start when Ings put the hosts in front after just five minutes.

The Clarets’ top scorer this season latched on to a hopeful hooked ball forward from midfielder David Jones and stroked it under Alex Smithies.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Huddersfield drew level when Paterson turned home an Oliver Norwood corner to level the scores on 20 minutes, but Ings’s shot with the outside of his right foot left Smithies with no chance just before the break to restore the home side’s lead.

A flying run from Trippier secured the victory for the hosts, calmly rounding Smithies before firing a shot that went in off the underside of the bar.

There was still time for Paterson to create a nervy end when he latched onto a superb low cross from Paul Dixon with a minute remaining, but Burnley held on for a win vital to their title hopes.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee (Lafferty 71), Jones, Marney (Stock 84), Treacy (Stanislas 84), Ings, Arfield, Vokes. Unused substitutes: Cisak, Edgar, Kightly, Long.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Smith, Wallace, Lynch (Gerrard 25), Hammill (Scannell 85), Hogg (Holmes 53), Norwood, Clayton, Dixon, Paterson,Ward. Unused substitutes: Woods, Gobern, Bennett, Stead.

Referee: D Coote (Nottinghamshire).