Doncaster Rovers 2 Watford 1: O'Driscoll celebrates Keepmoat win

DONCASTER manager Sean O'Driscoll admitted he was glad to see off a "difficult week" with his fifth win in six games.

He was beaten to the Burnley managerial spot by Brian Laws, but the pain was partially numbed by his side's performance in their first fixture of 2010.

Dean Shiels gave Rovers a deserved lead five minutes after the break and Gareth Roberts scored for the first time since April to put Rovers 2-0 up.

Heidar Helguson replied with a stoppage-time penalty, but it was too little, too late as Watford extended their winless run to six games in all competitions.

The result elevated Doncaster to 12th – five points off sixth – but O'Driscoll insisted he had set no targets for reaching the play-offs.

"I never look at league tables," he said. "Our focus here is on performances. I say this often, but if we get the performances right, the results will follow. I'm very happy today because we got the two together.

"We have had a difficult week and it has been nice to finish it off with a performance."

He would go no further when prompted to talk about his Burnley disappointment but admitted he was flattered by the vocal support he received from the home fans.

"It was nice," he said. "You have good times and bad times at a club and we are doing well at the moment.

"I thought it was a terrific game today. I thought we deserved the win."

For all but the opening exchanges, the win never seemed in doubt.

Having survived a scare in the second minute when Watford's Tom Cleverley miscued, Doncaster had numerous chances to go ahead.

James Coppinger engineered the best in the third minute, driving a low shot across goal that Scott Loach could only parry against the shins of Billy Sharp. The ball ricocheted wide but it easily could have been Sharp's 11th of the season.

A minute later, Shiels put a good chance wide, before drawing a good reflex save from Loach, who also did well to tip away Sharp's header as half-time approached.

Shiels eventually scored in the 50th minute, collecting Coppinger's clever back-heeled pass, swivelling in a congested area and rolling a low shot past Loach.

Watford responded well, Henri Lansbury and substitute Will Hoskins bringing good saves from Neil Sullivan.

But Rovers were never seriously threatened and, moments after Shiels drew an excellent stop from Loach, Roberts scored in the 83rd minute with a sweet half-volley from outside the area.

Liam Henderson hit the bar as Watford looked to hit back, before Helguson scored from the spot after Sam Hird brought down Hoskins.

"Their keeper was fantastic," said O'Driscoll. "Big lad, big arms. He did very well for them."

Watford manager Malky Mackay agreed, saying: "Loach has done very well. There were two or three performances that pleased me and Scott did well. But we are disappointed with the performance today."

Doncaster Rovers: Sullivan, Chambers, Shackell (Hird 74), O'Connor, Roberts, Oster, Stock (Spicer 78), Mark Wilson, Coppinger (Webster 86), Sharp, Shiels. Unused substitutes: Smith, Guy, Hayter, Heffernan.

Watford: Loach, Hodson (Henderson 86), DeMerit, Mariappa, Doyley, Cowie (Bryan 78), Lansbury, Eustace, Cleverley, Graham (Hoskins 60), Helguson. Unused substitutes: Lee, Jenkins, Harley, Bennett.

Referee: A Hall (W Midlands).

Man of the match: Scott Loach.

This season the Yorkshire Post has an exciting new match-day service, called Match Centre. Here you will find minute-by-minute updates, stats and team formations. Plus reports from every game in England, from the Premier League down to the Blue Square Premier.

Simply select your game from the pull down menu, then click on the 'i' information button on the right of the fixture and it will give you access to everything you need to know about your team.

So if you can't make it to a game, head for the Match Centre and we will give you the best seat in the house. Click the link below.

For the latest score and commentary from your team check out our new Match Centre