Doncaster Rovers 3 Blackpool 3: Six-goal thriller at the Keepmoat Stadium

Doncaster Rovers shared six goals with Blackpool in an entertaining clash at the Keepmoat Stadium in League One.
John Marquis.John Marquis.
John Marquis.

Three times Rovers took the lead, but each time the visitors pegged them back to force a draw.

Rovers boss Darren Ferguson opted for an unchanged team, after their impressive 3-1 win at Blackburn Rovers.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

John Marquis had an early chance, breaking down the left, but his cutback was hoofed clear by the Blackpool defence.

Rovers enjoyed the majority of possession, with Tommy Rowe, Danny Andrew and Liam Manderville looking dangerous.

But they had a lucky escape in the 24th minute when Mark Cullen broke clear of the Rovers defence, only to pull up with a hamtsring injury with the goal beckoning. He was subsequently substituted.

Clark Robertson then headed wide from a free-kick, as Doncaster lived dangerously before the break.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Two goals inside a minute brought the Keepmoat Stadium to life.

First, Tommy Rowe’s long-range strike smashed against the crossbar, before bouncing down and dribbling into the net off the back of goalkeeper Ryan Allsop.

That was in the 37th minute and the cheers had hardly died down, when Sean Longstaff stunned the home fans with an equaliser. his long-range shot giving Ian Lawlor no chance.

Doncaster edged back in front in first-half stoppage time. Paul Butler’s goal-bound header was half-cleared, and when Matty Blair diverted it back, Marquis was lurking to stab the ball home.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Alfie May came on for Manderville on the hour, but it was Blackpool who were level on 66 minutes.

There looked little danger for the hosts, but Oliver Turton fired home a stunning equaliser.

And the visitors should have been in front moments later, but Callum Cooke fired wide with just Lawlor to beat.

Good work from substitute Rodney Kongolo saw panic in Blackpool’s defence and fellow sub Alfie May pounced to make it 3-2.

But just like the first half, Rovers were caught napping as Cooke pounced for a swift equaliser.

May could have nicked all three points, but keeper Allsop parried the ball away in stoppage time.