Doncaster Rovers: Refereeing decisions infuriate Dickov

DONCASTER ROVERS manager Paul Dickov vented his fury in the direction of referee Scott Duncan after his side’s League One play-off quest suffered a massive setback in a 3-2 derby loss at Sheffield United.

Paul Dickov
Paul Dickov

The Blades consolidated their own top-six position by edging out their South Yorkshire rivals by the odd goal in five, with a splendid derby settled by a fine winning goal from Steven Davies on 71 minutes.

It enabled the Blades to secure their second successive White Rose win after their Easter Saturday triumph over Barnsley, with the success sealing a seasonal double over Rovers, now ten points behind sixth-placed Chesterfield and needing a minor miracle to gatecrash the play-offs.

Dickov felt Rovers, for whom Kyle Bennett scored two outstanding goals, were full value for a win, let alone a point and was seething that his side weren’t awarded two penalties.

The Scot was also angry at several other decisions, including the awarding of a penalty to the Blades on 29 minutes with the Rovers boss adamant play should have been brought back earlier for a foul on Richie Wellens.

Dickov, whose side host Rochdale in a must-win game on Saturday, said: “I think I would have been disappointed with a point with the amount of chances we created and the way we played for the majority of the game.

“Their goalkeeper made three wonderful saves and we had one cleared off the line and there was a clearance from (John) Brayford and we hit the bar in the second half.

“Stephen Bywater had to pick the ball out of the net three times and he’s not had a save to make.

“We should have had a penality in the first half from Curtis Main when he was brought down and how he didn’t gave the handball (in the second-half) was just embarrassing.

“We try and help the Referees’ Association and speak to David Allison and give our feedback. What’s the point? There’s no point when decisions like that happen...

“Their penalty came after Richie Wellens was fouled and came off the pitch injured. They get the penalty. Get the decision right in the first place and it doesn’t happen.”

Bennett gave Rovers the lead on 17 minutes but the Blades levelled from the spot from Jose Baxter after a clumsy challenge from Jamie McCombe.

Matty Done put United in front seven minutes after the break, only for Bennett to fire home another cracker to equalise, only for Davies to have the final word.

Admitting his side were fortunate, Nigel Clough added: “I don’t think anything was in it score-wise. I think we were a little bit fortunate to come away with three points.

“But then again, the two goals that they scored were absolutely incredible goals, as was our winning goal from Steven Davies.

“It was about guts and determination more than anything else.”

The Blades visit Oldham on Saturday.