Grant McCann hails Hull City's calm approach in victory over Rochdale

Grant McCann said he was pleased by the calm manner in which his Hull City players went about their business during Tuesday's 2-0 win over Rochdale.

Hull City head coach Grant McCann. Picture: Getty Images

The Tigers looked comfortable throughout, netting a goal in each half while never looking in any real danger of conceding at the other end as they climbed up to second in the League One standings.

The Northern Irishman had spoken previously about wanting his players to approach the upcoming crunch period of the 2020/21 campaign with cool heads, and following back-to-back victories and a pair of clean-sheets, it seems that City's head coach's message has been understood.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"I thought we were very calm," McCann reflected.

"Leading into the game the players were calm. We had a couple of chats in terms of approaching these next 14 games with a calmness and assuredness about us and I think we've shown it over the last couple of matches - which is pleasing.

"I think that there were a lot of plus points. Rochdale had no shots on target, defensively we were really organised and we were clinical at the top end of the pitch to win the game.

"We had to be good, organised, we had to understand what we wanted to do in terms of the game-plan and we stuck to the task very, very well."

Victory for City and a home defeat for title rivals Lincoln saw the Tigers leapfrog the Imps into second spot, where they now sit just three points behind leaders Peterborough United.

But McCann is not getting carried away by the fact that his team has moved up a position in the table.

Asked whether he felt overtaking Lincoln was significant at this stage, he replied: "Not particularly, there's a long way to go still, we just focus on the next game."

Mallik Wilks opened the scoring at the KCOM Stadium after 24 minutes, cutting inside off the right flank and dancing past three Rochdale defenders before beating Gavin Bazunu at his near post from 25 yards.

And the points were secured on 69 minutes when Lewie Coyle's cross from the right was diverted into the away net by the combination of Tigers substitute Tom Eaves and a visiting defender.