Preston North End 3 Huddersfield Town 1: Terriers fall off pace

Huddersfield missed out on the chance to go level on points with Sky Bet Championship leaders Newcastle as Paul Gallagher inspired Preston to a 3-1 win - their fourth straight victory at home.

Gallagher teed up Tom Clarke and Alex Baptiste in the first half before netting a free-kick himself after the break to extend Preston’s unbeaten run to five games.

Nahki Wells grabbed a late consolation for Huddersfield, who still have not won at Deepdale since 1969.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Simon Grayson’s side took an early lead with the first chance of the game after six minutes. Gallagher’s whipped free-kick was met by Clarke, whose header from six yards was too strong for Danny Ward to keep out.

But Ward was on hand with a terrific stop after 23 minutes, acrobatically leaping to his right to tip Jordan Hugill’s looping header over the bar, before keeping out Clarke’s fierce drive from the resulting corner.

Huddersfield began to see more of the ball approaching the half-hour mark and threatened when Jack Payne broke in behind the Preston midfield, but his powerful shot was deflected wide by Clarke.

But David Wagner’s side were undone by another magnificent delivery from Gallagher after 42 minutes. The midfielder produced a superb, curling, first-time cross from the right which was met by a towering header from Baptiste, who powered the ball past Ward from 12 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was the first time the Terriers had conceded more than one goal in the league this season.

Huddersfield, now attacking the end packed with their relentless away supporters, came close five minutes after the break when Payne’s free-kick from the edge of the area whistled just over the bar.

Three minutes later, however, the points were wrapped up for Preston and Gallagher was again at the heart of it, this time finding the net himself. His whipped free-kick from the left evaded everyone and nestled into the far corner.

Huddersfield were determined not to lie down, though, and Payne had two opportunities in the 56th minute. He saw one shot parried away by Chris Maxwell and the ball dropped back to him, but he volleyed it against his own face.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After continuing to push forward, Huddersfield deservedly scored after 81 minutes, as Payne’s free-kick was headed across goal by Christopher Schindler and Wells nodded home from four yards, but it would be a mere consolation.

And follow @LeonWobYP for updates.