Plymouth 2 York 0: York suffer rare away setback to leave manager Mills fuming

YORK City manager Gary Mills admitted that his team were “second best” after meekly surrendering to defeat at Plymouth.

A loyal travelling army of 188 York fans were let down badly by their side’s efforts as the Devon club secured a first victory in 10 matches courtesy of defender Jamal Fyfield’s first-half own goal and a late header from Nick Chadwick.

The defeat was only York’s third in the league away from home during 2012, but that was of little consolation to Mills at the final whistle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “We were second best from start to finish and didn’t win any second balls. If that’s the case, you end up losing and we got exactly what we deserved – absolutely nothing.”

Mills selected the side that had performed so well in defeating Rochdale 3-2 on the road seven days earlier, but the two displays could not have been more disparate.

The Minstermen only called home goalkeeper Rene Gilmartin into one save – a weak 41st-minute effort from Matty Blair.

Plymouth were not much more threatening at the other end of the pitch with Paris Cowan-Hall shooting over an empty net before Fyfield gave them a welcome boost on the stroke of half-time when he turned in Luke Young’s corner to the far post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Substitute Chadwick then wrapped up the points on 89 minutes, heading in from four yards after York goalkeeper Michael Ingham had produced an impressive save to keep out Young’s low drive.

Plymouth Argyle: Gilmartin, Nelson, Purse, Blanchard, Bhasera, Young, Molesley, Hourihane, Gurrieri (Lowry, 82), Cowan-Hall (Lennox, 90), Griffiths (Chadwick, 73). Unused substitutes: Cole, Feeney, Richards, Harvey.

York City: Ingham, Parslow, C Smith, Doig (Blanchett 68), Fyfield, Kerr, Potts (Reed, 58), McLaughlin (Challinor, 58), Blair, Walker, Chambers. Unused substitutes: Musselwhite, McGurk, Allan, Rodman.

Referee: T Robinson (West Sussex).

Man of the match: Michael Ingham.