Halifax 22 Dewsbury Rams 24: Impressive Rams pile on the agony for struggling hosts

Dewsbury's Etu Uaisele crossed the line against Halifax.Dewsbury's Etu Uaisele crossed the line against Halifax.
Dewsbury's Etu Uaisele crossed the line against Halifax.
Halifax's crisis of form and confidence took another turn for the worse as they lost out to Dewsbury Rams at the Shay.

Richard Marshall’s side, who have now lost six games on the bounce, led 6-0 and 16-10 before being overhauled by the visitors, who owed their success to two second-half touchdowns and some desperate defending.

It was Halifax who took a 10th-minute lead when full-back Miles Greenwood slipped over in the corner, centre Nick Rawsthorne adding the conversion.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But the Rams moved ahead with two quick tries around the 20-minute mark. Centre Etu Uaisele got the first with a powerful charge to the right corner, with half-back Andy Kain picking off a 60-metre interception a couple of minutes later and Paul Sykes kicking the Rams into a 10-6 lead.

The home side regained a slender advantage 10 minutes later when captain Scott Murrell kicked ahead and regathered the rebound off the post to score, Rawsthorne making it 12-10.

They moved 16-10 ahead at the interval when back rower Dane Manning scored on the left.

Dewsbury regained the lead after half-time through a simple try from Tony Tonks, converted by Tom Hemingway.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Leading 22-16, the Rams then established an eight-point lead through a Hemingway penalty with 25 minutes just remaining on the clock.

Halifax closed to within two points at 24-22 when Jacob Fairbank stepped through under the posts, Rawsthorne converting, but despite plenty of late pressure that was as close as they got.

Halifax: Greenwood; Saltonstall, Rawsthorne, Heaton, Sharp; G. Moore, Murrell; Cahalane, B. Moore, Boyle, Manning, Tangata, Fairbank. Substitutes: Bennion, A. Robinson, C. Robinson, Barber

Dewsbury Rams: Guzdek; Morton, Sykes, Crookes, Uaisele; Speakman, Kain; Stringer, Hemingway, Trout, Hale, Walshaw, Brown. Substitutes: Spicer, Tonks, Glover, Teanby

Referee: M. Woodhead.