Hull KR 25 Huddersfield Giants 24: Jordan Abdull clinches it as Hull KR secure dramatic first win

THERE was a record broken by Hull KR last night and, fortunately for them, it did not involve some sort of statistic about the most Golden Point defeats inside four weeks.

Hull KR's Ben Crooks scores after seven seconds. (BRUCE ROLLINSON)
Hull KR's Ben Crooks scores after seven seconds. (BRUCE ROLLINSON)

Rather, it was Ben Crooks, their recalled centre, who scored the fastest try in Super League history having crossed in barely seven seconds against dozing Huddersfield Giants.

Still, that was the start of the game and this is Hull KR so, inevitably, even more drama came at the end. Almost involving Golden Point.

Jordan Abdull nervelessly slotted a 77th minute drop-goal to seal a first victory of the season for the Robins, just as it looked like they were heading for extra-time for a third time in four games this year.

Hull KR's George Lawler (BRUCE ROLLINSON)

The scrum-half showed real character in the circumstances given he had held himself partly to blame for his club losing in Golden Point extra-time against Castleford Tigers on the same ground just a week earlier.

They had squandered a 22-6 position to lose that and had also fallen to Catalans Dragons in extra-time.

And Smith’s side looked like seeing yet another lead disappear again last night having been 18-0 ahead in the first half before the interval introduction of Lee Gaskell at full-back inspired a thrilling fightback for Giants.

They moved 20-18 ahead by the 65th minute after Chris McQueen scored a controversial try, embarrassingly losing the ball as he looked to place it down, only to see video referee Chris Kendall rule it had gone backwards before the Australian had his second stab.

Hull KR's Matt Parcell (BRUCE ROLLINSON)

Aidan Sezer’s conversion put them ahead and Rovers could easily have slumped but Jermaine McGillvary spilled Abdull’s high kick and Kane Linnett raced in to regain the lead.

Still, more frenetic drama was to come as Gaskell, continually raiding KR’s right edge, unleashed Jake Wardle and Darnell McIntosh got his second try in the 72nd minute.

Sezer was wide with his touchline effort, though, and Abdull put them ahead before Huddersfield twice dramatically made late bids to wrestle back the game before falling to a third defeat in four games.

It had started badly for them.

Crooks picked up after a bizarre start saw Wardle and Sezer both hint at taking Abdull’s kick-off but neither commit.

As Giants winger Sam Wood did eventually rush towards it, fearing the ball would bounce into touch, the ball took a wicked bounce past him towards his own goalline.

Crooks raced up to gleefully pick up and touch down as the Huddersfield inquest began.

The previous quickest Super League try came after 14 seconds and courtesy of St Helens’ Tim Jonkers against Wakefield Trinity in 2002.

The NRL record stands at 13 seconds but Wigan St Patrick’s Dean Hatton holds the Guinness world record for rugby league’s fastest-ever try after 7.3 seconds against Egremont six years ago.

Clearly, Crooks - who limped off at the start of the second period - might now be challenging that.

However, most importantly, of course, was that Rovers won, ending a six-game losing run dating back to last season.

Abdull converted Crooks’ opener and added a penalty soon after as they built on their positive start, hooker Matt Parcell also breaking the Giants defensive line and Albert Vete’s offload causing more problems for the sluggish visitors.

Huddersfield struggled for any momentum and were not helped when Sezer, their marquee signing making his first appearance of the campaign, missed touch with a penalty.

He was called upon to make a crucial tackle on Parcell as his fellow Australian splintered them once more and Giants looked a pale shadow of the side that delivered its first win of the season against Leigh Centurions on Sunday.

Rovers lost their Australian prop Sims to a head knock after just six minutes, the big signing from St George Illawarra unfortunately failing a HIA for the second time in three games.

It made his side’s task all the harder but they were well served by fellow front-row George King who continued his excellent start to thre season.

Crooks got his second try when Mikey Lewis slid through a grubber in the 24th minute and they recorded back-to-back tries when King broke through from the restart, found Abdull and Lewis scampered in for Abdull to put them 18-0 ahead.

Giants finally found some rhythm when Adam O’Brien entered the fray, Jack Cogger running on the last and Leroy Cudjoe flocking out a pass for Jermaine McGillvary to cross and leave them 18-4 behind at the break.

The game looked like turning in their favour when Linnett controversially had a try ruled out in the 53rd minute.

He mopped up after Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Gaskell collided after Abdull’s high kick came to ground but Kendall ruled the Rovers captain had fouled the Giants replacement.

Within seconds, Gaskell was setting up McIntosh for a try, kicking ahead perfectly after Kenny Edwards’ raid down the left.

Gaskell broke the line again to supply Wardle and the lead was overhauled by McQueen. But Abdull had the last word.

Hull KR: Quinlan; Ryan, Crooks, Kenny-Dowall, Hall; Lewis, Abdull; Sims, Parcel, King, Linnett, Johnson, Lawler. Substitutes: Vete, Hadley, Litten, Mustapha.

Huddersfield Giants: McIntosh; McGillvary, Cudjoe, Jake Wardle, Wood; Cogger, Sezer; Yates, Cunningham, Lawrence, Edwards, McQueen, Jones. Substitutes: English, O’Brien, Gaskell, Ashworth.

Referee: Liam Moore (Wigan)