Wath and Otliensians head to Twickenham as York agonisingly miss out

Joe Rowntree: On target.Joe Rowntree: On target.
Joe Rowntree: On target.
There will be two Yorkshire teams at Twickenham for the RFU National Cup finals on May 5 after a day of drama on the pitch.

Wath on Dearne and Old Otliensians secured victories in the RFU Senior Vase and Junior Vase, respectively, and there was heartbreak for York, who narrowly missed out on victory in their semi-final at Droitwich.

Wath were 29-7 winners in their Senior Vase semi-final at home against St Ives. Two penalties from stand-off Jack Whitlam and a try from scrum-half Joe Bartlett helped them to an 11-7 lead at half-time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After the break, Wath turned on the style with centre Steve Mason and second-row Richard Hill touching down. Whitlam kicked two more penalties and a conversion.

Old Otliensians were 28-12 winners in their Junior Vase semi-final at home against Eccleshall.

Tries came from full-back Alex Murphy, second-row Paddy Phipps, hooker Tom Howard and flanker Joe Armitage. Stand-off Will Cooper kicked two penalties and a conversion.

York led for long periods in their Intermediate Cup semi-final at Droitwich, but ended up losing 24-22 to the Midlands side.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wath will play Saltash in their final at Twickenham on May 5, while Old Otliensians will face South Molton on the same day.

A strong second half performance was not enough for Hull Ionians, who lost 29-19 at Cambridge in National One.

Losing 17-0 at half-time, the Yorkshire side hit back with tries from James Sanderson, Sam Wilson and Adam Thomas. Greg Lound added two conversions.

Otley eased further away from relegation with a 29-3 win at home to South Leicester in National Two.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Tom O’Donnell opened the scoring for the home side on 20 minutes and Joe Rowntree converted. The last 15 minutes saw three tries scored – a penalty try along with others from Jack Mackie and Rowntree to secure a bonus point win.

Hull maintained their promotion push with a 31-10 win over hosts Wirral.

The sides were level at half time with back-row Zack Poole touching down for Hull and stand-off Steve Johnson kicked a conversion and penalty.

After the break, Hull found another gear and centre Alex Heard and winger Steve Hiheta added tries, while a pushover try and three more conversions from Johnson sealed the win.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Strugglers Morley battled to a 13-8 win over Kirkby Lonsdale with a try from prop Dan Percival and two penalties and a conversion from Mark Chester.

Ilkley secured survival by claiming a bonus point as they were beaten by champions Preston Grasshoppers.

Bridlington came away empty-handed from an 8-0 defeat at Percy Park in North One East.

Tries from hooker Chris Palmer and prop Matthew Helm gave Middlesbrough a 10-7 win over Moortown.

Heath won 20-17 against Scarborough and North Ribblesdale lost 18-10 at Old Brodleians. Pontefract reached the Yorkshire Silver Trophy final with a 29-16 win over Ripon.