Nine people taken to hospital after burning microwave filled Huddersfield house with smoke

The fire broke out at a house in Thomas Street, Thornton Lodge. Picture: Google
The fire broke out at a house in Thomas Street, Thornton Lodge. Picture: Google

Nine adults and children have been taken to hospital today after a fire broke out in a house in Huddersfield.

Firefighters were called to the property in Thomas Street, Thornton Lodge, shortly after 9.30am when it was reported that the group were trapped by smoke on the first floor.

A West Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said: "The control room operator gave fire survival guidance to the occupants while appliances were en route.

"They managed to get onto a flat roof from where they were rescued by fire crews using a short extension ladder."

The crews from Huddersfield and Rastrick used four sets of breathing apparatus when they entered the property, which had no working smoke detectors fitted.

They found a small fire involving a microwave oven had created the smoke, which was cleared using a high power fan.

The spokesman said: "All nine people - a mixture of male and female adults and children - were transported to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation."