Tributes are paid to Sheffield gun attack victim

The Mercedes-Benz car which was being examined by police.

The Mercedes-Benz car which was being examined by police.

0
Have your say

Tributes have been paid to a 23-year-old man who died after he was shot in the street.

Police have urged witnesses to come forward as they continue to search for the gunman after the shooting in the Upperthorpe area of Sheffield at lunchtime on Saturday.

Friends of the man who died, known as Aseel, have described him as a “top lad”.

His family were holding a celebration at a nearby house when he was shot in chest either close to or inside a black Mercedes car which has since been the focus of intense police analysis.

One friend said on social media: “It brings a tear to my eye to know that someone who you’ve know for so many years to get taken from this world in the cruellest way possible.

“I still don’t believe it! Such a funny guy, too many memories! Taken too soon.”

Another said: “Will never forget him. I always use to see him in the area. He was a top lad.”

Family friend Abdul Asker said7766: “He was a decent guy.

“He was smiling all the time and was always approachable and ready to listen.

“We’re stunned by his sudden death, which is very sad news for the whole community here.

“Hopefully the people who did this will be brought to justice.”

South Yorkshire Police said they were called at 1.35pm on Saturday to Daniel Hill, Upperthorpe.

Witnesses said officers arrived at the scene to find many of the man’s family, who had been gathering for the celebration only a few yards away, tending to him in the street.

He was taken to Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital but died soon after.

Armed police helped colleagues put a cordon around the area, centred on the black Mercedes, which remained in place on Sunday.

The shooting on a busy road linking the Walkley and Upperthorpe areas happened in broad daylight, just 200 yards from a number of shops and cafes.

One man said: “Upperthorpe has had its problems but it’s been better recently. I’ve never heard of a shooting here. I’m shocked.”

Senior Investigating Officer Joanne Bates said: “We are currently working to determine the exact circumstances of what happened yesterday and anyone with any information that may be able to assist with our investigation, is urged to contact police.

“A cordon still remains in place and officers and PCSOs will be patrolling the area to provide reassurance to the local community.”

A post-mortem examination has not yet taken place, a force spokeswoman said.

She said the man’s family have been informed of his death but he had not yet been formally identified.

The shooting is the latest in a spate in Sheffield since the start of the year.

A week ago, a 25-year-old man was seriously injured when he was shot in the street in the Shiregreen area.

Earlier this month, a pensioner couple were left in shock when shots were fired through their living room window in the Southey Green area of the city.

The incident was almost certainly a case of a gunman getting the wrong house, police said.

The shooting followed two more in January which both involved shots being fired at houses in the same street in High Green, Sheffield.

Anyone with information about Saturday’s shooting is urged to contact police on 101 quoting incident number 571 of 18 February.

Back to the top of the page