Update on rescued man's condition after major fire breaks out at pub in Gargrave

Police have confirmed that the man rescued from the roof of a Grade II-listed pub in Gargrave last night is in a critical condition.

The fire at The Old Swan Inn in Gargrave

An investigation into how a serious fire at The Old Swan Inn started has now begun.

The incident on the village High Street was reported at 5.30pm on Tuesday following concerns for the safety of a man in his 50s.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Just before 6pm, police officers noticed a fire inside the pub and a man was seen on the roof of the building.

Fire crews attended to deal with the blaze and the police tried to engage with the man in an effort to bring him to safety.

A few nearby properties were temporarily evacuated as a precaution and local residents were urged to close doors and windows due to thick black smoke spreading from the fire.

As a further safety measure, the A65 was also closed to traffic with local diversions expected to be in place until the early hours of Wednesday.

Firefighters located the man on the roof of the pub and they brought him down at 6.38pm.

The A65 remains closed

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

Fire crews are still at the scene to ensure the fire remains under control. Northern Gas engineers are assisting the operation.

A police investigation has begun to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

Witnesses or anyone with information that could assist the inquiry are asked to call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1, and speak to the Force Control Room. Please quote reference number 12200115385 when providing details.

The pub caught fire on Tuesday evening

The Grade II-listed country pub and restaurant offers near Skipton guest accommodation. Having been closed since March, owners Tim Sharp and Lindsay Williamson have been running a takeaway and delivery service.

Six fire engines and an aerial ladder platform were sent to the scene and are expected to remain there 'for some time'.

A man has been rescued from the roof