Yorkshire thunderstorms: Exact times thunderstorms are set to hit Leeds, York, Sheffield, Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield, Hull, Doncaster, Northallerton and Harrogate today as yellow weather warning issued across parts of Yorkshire
As cooler conditions follow from the west, thunderstorms will develop in some areas from early afternoon. There is also a chance that an organised line of thunderstorms could develop across northern Britain during Sunday afternoon before clearing east into the North Sea during the evening. This is likely to occur across eastern parts of the warning area including northeast England and eastern Scotland.
Amounts of rainfall will vary significantly, but some locations could see 30-40 mm in one to two hours. Frequent lightning, large hail (up to 3 cm in diameter) and strong, gusty winds will be additional hazards.
- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings and temporary outdoor structures from floodwater, lightning strikes, large hail or strong winds.
- There is also a small chance that some communities may become temporarily cut off by flooded roads.
- Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays and some cancellations to train and bus services.
- Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
- There is a slight chance that power cuts could occur and other services to some homes and businesses could be lost.
The Met Office explains that thunderstorms can take place at any time of the year, but it is during the summer months when thunderstorms in the UK are most likely to produce large hail, gusty winds and torrential downpours that can cause disruption to transport networks and damage property.
What times will thunderstorms hit Yorkshire?
Thunderstorms are expected to hit parts of Yorkshire from the afternoon through to the evening of Sunday, June 25, 2023.
Thunderstorms are expected to occur at 1pm, 2pm, 5pm and 6pm in Leeds.
In York, thunderstorms are set to hit at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 5pm today.
They are expected at 2pm and 4pm in Sheffield.
Thunderstorms are expected just two times of the day: 1pm and 2pm.
Again, thunderstorms are predicted to take place twice today in Doncaster: 3pm and 6pm.
Thunderstorms are expected to hit at 3pm and 4pm today in Northallerton.
Thunderstorms are predicted to occur six times during the day today: 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm.
They are expected at around 2pm today in Harrogate.
Thunderstorms are predicted to occur at around 2pm in Wakefield on Sunday.
They are expected to hit at 3pm, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm in Hull.