Rotherham United 2 Colchester United 2: Lee denies Millers to leave Evans fuming

Rotherham United manager Steve Evans is getting tired of seeing his side earn the plaudits but not maximum points after the Millers were pegged back against Colchester United.

The hosts looked set for three points as they led 2-1 going into stoppage time only for a controversial equaliser from Elliot Lee snatched a draw for Colchester.

Lee’s header was deemed to have crossed the line by the assistant referee, and left Evans fuming.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Referees are not something I wish to discuss, I would rather collect the leaves in the local park,” he said.

“I have had the time to look back at the match on DVD so there is some clarity of thought in my head.

“It is a match we dominated from start to finish and as any form of contest it should have been finished by half-time.

“The lads are playing some fantastic football and I use that word carefully, Saturday was another clear example of that. I am fed up with opposition managers, players and directors telling me how good we have played and we are not getting the points that those performances deserve. I am the most positive man in the world but recently it has been hard to take.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We are in a period where every mistake is being punished and our numerous goal-scoring chances are not being converted at an acceptable rate.

“I hate talking about luck in football, I firmly believe you make your own luck but I am having to dig deep inside myself to keep that positive thought.”

Marcus Bean gave Colchester an early lead with a header but the Millers levelled moments later when the recalled Matt Tubbs converted Ben Pringle’s cross.

Kieran Agard fire home in a crowded penalty area to put Rotherham in front, but Lee’s late strike denied them victory.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham: Collin, Bradley, Mills, Arnason, Skarz, Agard, O’Connor (Milsom 90), Frecklington, Pringle (Brindley 90), Revell, Tubbs (Eaves 87). Unused substitutes: Shearer, Nardiello, Tidser, Rowe.

Colchester: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Bolger, Garbutt, Monakana (Bonne 52), Bean (Szmidics 83), Eastmond (Bond 59), Gilbey, Lee, Morrison. Unused substitutes: Vose, Cousins, Dickson, Eastman.

Referee: S Stockbridge (Tyne & Wear).

Man of the match: Matt Tubbs.