York City 3 Luton Town 0: Table-toppers again prove no match for rampant Minstermen

YORK CITY’S liking for playing leading teams rather than strugglers was again demonstrated when they crushed table-topping Luton Town more easily than the scoreline suggests.

A week ago they hammered Wrexham, who had led the table before the game by the same margin, and this was in stark contrast to their earlier home defeats by lowly Alfreton and Telford and the lucky 1-0 home win over bottom-of-the-table Bath.

As in the game at Wrexham, the foundation for York’s victory came in the first half when they established a three-goal lead, a margin which should have been five, Jamie Reed twice failing with only goalkeeper Mark Tyler to beat.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

York played some super passing football and were simply too good for Luton, who were never able to pose a serious threat. Indeed, on this form it is difficult to see any team living with York, whose spell of three wins and a draw in the last four matches has lifted them from 14th to fifth and into the play-off zone.

Jason Walker’s headed pass to Paddy McLaughlin saw Ashley Chambers give York a ninth-minute lead with a fierce cross-shot. Then came Reed’s two misses in a minute. He chipped over Tyler but saw the ball roll wide and shot straight at Tyler after bursting clear.

Reed supplied the pass for Walker to score his eighth goal of the season and Chambers made it 3-0 on the stroke of half-time after exchanging passes with Walker.

Reed hit the bar after the break and Jamie Hand shot over with Luton’s best chance as York strolled home. Now for second in the table Gateshead, tomorrow night.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

York manager Gary Mills said: “Everyone did their job superbly and this was a big three points.”

York City: Ingham; Challinor, McGurk, Fyfield, Meredith; Kerr, Boucaud, McLaughlin; Reed (Moke, 66), Walker (Henderson, 89), Chambers (Blair, 76). Unused substitutes: Smith, Parslow.

Luton Town: Tyler; Keane, Antwi, Kovaks, Howells; Dance, Lawless (Watkins, 46), Kissock (O’Connor,46), Hand, Wilmot; Fleetwood (Crow, 80). Unused substitutes: Asafu-Adjaye, Pilkington.

Referee: A Harrington (Hartlepool).

Man of the match: Ashley Chambers.