The walk makes use of old green roads, bridleways and country lanes and includes a very short detour to the fascinating Moravian settlement at Fulneck on the south side of Pudsey. The Moravians were a Protestant order in Bohemia, now the Czech Republic, and they arrived in Yorkshire in the mid-1700s when they built a fine church and highly regarded boarding school. The route beside Pudsey Beck is delightful in spring. Look out for herons and kingfishers, and great spotted woodpeckers and treecreepers in Black Carr Wood. You may be lucky enough to encounter a fox or roe deer.
1. Starting from the centre of Tong village walk to the Greyhound pub and turn north into Keeper Lane. To the left of Hill Green leave the tarmac lane and continue along a walled track which descends to Pudsey Beck.
2. Cross the bridge and turn right to follow the Beck along the edge of Fulneck Golf Club. At a signpost turn left to cross the fairway with care and find a path leading uphill to arrive in Fulneck. The school and Moravian Settlement is a short diversion to the right.
3. Continuing the walk, go left in Fulneck and proceed along Bankhouse to the Bankhouse Inn. Fork left downhill along Scholebrook Lane, passing kennels and returning to the beck. Cross to the other side and follow a permissive bridleway upstream to Black Carr Wood.
4. Turn left and follow the obvious course uphill through the trees. Higher up the path curves left as it leaves the wood and passes a picnic area to join a wider track. When the track goes right turn left through a handgate and follow a field edge which eventually bears right over a field to reach Ned Lane.
5. Follow Ned Lane down into Holme Village. Continue with care uphill from the village and turn left into Raikes Lane. Take a footpath on the right and at Ryecroft Farm bear left on a track then public footpath which goes through Kit Wood and passes Gib Stubbing Farm to reach New Lane.
6. Turn right on New Lane and walk up to Tong Lane. Turn left and walk with care back to Tong Village.
Difficulty rating: 2 stars.
Distance: 5 miles
Time: 2 1/2 hours.
Map: OS Explorer sheet 288 (1:25000) Bradford & Huddersfield.
Parking: Responsible street parking Tong village (off B6135 from roundabout on A650 Bradford-Birkenshaw road).
Public transport: No convenient service for this walk.
Refreshments: Tong and Bankhouse.
Toilets: For refreshment customers.