QPR 1 Huddersfield Town 0: Late goal checks Terriers’ progress

Huddersfield Town’s promotion push was halted by another of the Championship’s form teams.

Huddersfield Town’s promotion push was halted by another of the Championship’s form teams.

Carlos Corberan’s Terriers looked a complete package in beating automatic-promotion hopefuls West Brom on Saturday.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But four days later in the capital they came unstuck, Luke Amos scoring a late winner for QPR that moved Rangers up to fourth in the Sky Bet Championship table.

Queens Park Rangers' Albert Adomah (right) and Huddersfield Town's Josh Koroma battle for the ball (Picture: PA)

Amos, recently back from the second long-term knee injury of his career, headed in Chris Willock’s cross with nine minutes remaining at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

The lively Willock did superbly on the right flank and Amos, on as a substitute, was in front of keeper Lee Nicholls to finish from close range.

It preserved Rangers’ record of being the only team in the division to have scored in all their league matches so far this season.

Mark Warburton’s side look like genuine promotion contenders and are now unbeaten in five matches – a run which has included three wins and three clean sheets.

Huddersfield Town's Danny Ward (left) and Queens Park Rangers' Jimmy Dunne (Picture; PA)

Town do not need to panic, even if they did drop out of the play-off places into eighth.

QPR laboured without injured Scotland striker Lyndon Dykes but were eventually rewarded for their persistence.

Huddersfield always looked dangerous and Ollie Turton had a couple of early chances to put them ahead.

In only the second minute, keeper Seny Dieng blocked Turton’s far-post header from Harry Toffolo’s cross.

Huddersfield Town manager Carlos Corberan (Picture: PA)

And Turton blasted wastefully over following a swift counter-attack as the visitors had the better of the opening exchanges.

QPR created very little before almost going ahead against the run of play when Yoann Barbet’s flicked header from Stefan Johansen’s right-wing corner bounced off the bar.

That brought Rangers to life and they went close again when Lee Wallace’s strike was deflected over by Turton.

They finished the first half strongly, with Charlie Austin seeing a goal-bound effort blocked by Levi Colwill and then sending a right-footed strike over the bar.

The hosts continued to press after the interval and Austin was put through by Andre Dozzell but fired straight at Nicholls, who also held a shot from Ilias Chair.

Nicholls was given a stiffer test by a left-footed strike by Johansen from near the edge of the penalty area, which he also kept out.

R’s defender Rob Dickie drilled a shot narrowly wide and Chair missed a great chance when he scooped over after being teed up by Johansen.

At the other end, Dieng saved at his near post to deny Danel Sinani and Matty Pearson was just unable to connect with Josh Koroma’s free-kick before Amos broke the deadlock.

On a less positive note for Rangers, the influential Johansen limped off near the end after picking up a knock.