The buildings and self-contained streets in the countryside near Adel were once part of a school that was originally a Victorian correctional facility, Eastmoor Reformatory.
Dating back to 1857, it first housed workhouse children who had fallen into crime, and the campus had its own church, swimming pool and on-site dentist, as well as housing for teachers and their families.
The Eastmoor site later morphed into a borstal and approved school where 160 children were taught practical trades that would enable them to look for a job when they reached adulthood.
The swimming pool, which can still be seen, was used to teach boys to swim in the hope that they would end up employed on the fishing vessels which operated from ports such as Grimsby.
The borstal shut in 1972 and the complex became a community home until the 1990s, when it was leased for student accommodation by Leeds Metropolitan University. In 1993, a secure young offenders' unit was built nearby. The 'village' was abandoned completely in 2004.
It is now owned by the council, who hope to sell it to a housing developer, although historic buildings such as the chapel are likely to remain.
One of the abandoned buildings was used by ITV to film a fire scene for their hospital drama The Royal, which was set on the Yorkshire coast.