Burton Albion 3 York City 1: Carlisle endures miserable night as York’s unbeaten run is ended

YORK City failed to extend their undefeated run to a seventh match after losing at Burton Albion.

The Minstermen had not been beaten since an opening day home loss by the same scoreline against Wycombe Wanderers but were second best at the Pirelli Stadium despite taking an early lead through Paddy McLaughlin.

Lee Bell went on to level midway through the first half before further strikes by Calvin Zola and Matt Paterson after the break sealed the visitors’ fate.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

York forged ahead on 10 minutes when McLaughlin powered into the home penalty box and fired into Stuart Tomlinson’s bottom left-hand corner from eight yards after Jonathan Smith’s neat pass.

Ashley Chambers then volleyed wide with a decent chance to double the visitors’ lead before Bell levelled the scores on 23 minutes.

The Burton midfielder’s speculative 30-yard effort looked unlikely to trouble Michael Ingham until a heavy deflection off Clarke Carlisle’s head saw the ball finish up in the City keeper’s top left-hand corner.

Ex-Leeds defender Carlisle’s night went from bad to worse 10 minutes later when he was carried off with an ankle problem.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Burton got their noses in front on 65 minutes when Robbie Weir’s 25-yard shot was saved well by Ingham, only for Zola to follow up and net.

Zola then thought he had extended the Brewers’ lead with a close-range header only for Ingham to react brilliantly and keep his side in the match.

But Paterson made victory certain in added-on time when he lobbed over Ingham after muscling his way past Dan Parslow, to condemn Gary Mills’s side to defeat.

Burton Albion: Tomlinson, McCrory, Holness (Stanton, 31), Diamond, O’Connor, Maghoma, Bell, Weir, Dyer, Paterson, Zola. Unused substitutes: Atkins, Corbett, Webster, Taylor, Richards, Yussuf.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

York City: Ingham, Oyebanjo, C Smith, Carlisle (Doig, 33) Fyfield, Parslow, J Smith (Potts, 71), McLaughlin (Blair, 71), Chambers, Walker, Coulson. Unused substitutes: Musselwhite, Johnson, McReady, Blair, Potts, Challinor.

Referee: F Graham (Essex).